How to Create a Linux (CentOS) Jail

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevanbrown

Dabbler
Forgive me for my noobness with this question, but I've only ever dealt with FreeBSD-based jails. I need to create a Linux jail using CentOS and have no idea where to start with the process. Of course, if there was a wonderful, pre-created template for iocage I could just fetch, that'd be awesome. However, Google has yielded no results on this topic.

I see comments similar to create the jail and install the OS. However, that doesn't really give me the process detail I need; e.g. how do you go about "installing an OS" in a jail? This is pretty straight-forward with VMs, just unsure how doing this with a jail works.

The reason I need a jail versus a VM is that I want to run some software that needs access to a USB device on the FreeNAS server. Unfortunately, it looks like USB passthrough isn't something yet, and perhaps won't be for quite a while, supported Bhyve on FreeNAS. The software I want to run doesn't support FreeBSD, hence the need for Linux.

Can someone out there provide me with the steps to get this project started?

Thanks in advance for any constructive assistance anyone is willing to provide!

D

dlavigne

You don't want a jail (which are really FreeBSD instances) but rather a VM.

kevanbrown

Dabbler
You don't want a jail (which are really FreeBSD instances) but rather a VM.

Thanks, but:

"The reason I need a jail versus a VM is that I want to run some software that needs access to a USB device on the FreeNAS server. Unfortunately, it looks like USB passthrough isn't something yet, and perhaps won't be for quite a while, supported Bhyve on FreeNAS. The software I want to run doesn't support FreeBSD, hence the need for Linux."

Status
Not open for further replies.