No Linux Jails on FreeNAS 11? Sadface...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisNAS

Explorer
I'm happy with FreeNAS and FreeBSD. I think they're both great. I do wish BSD was a bit more mainstream, but hey things that work, work well.

However, some things are just a pain to get around in BSD vs Linux. For example, I have nextcloud running in my standard jail. Runs great. However, most of this week has been a struggle to get ejabberd up and running. It sucks what a lack of info there is for so many things on FreeBSD. I haven't managed to get that working and its frustrating. I finally said screw it, I'll get a linux jail going so everything be easier (and actually have more info) to get ejabberd up and running.

Then, I realized.... NO LINUX JAILS? How disappointing. I'm really bummed here. I know I can use iohyve and install ubuntu (did that for diff system to use docker collabora on it) but why not as a jail? I really want to have a CentOS jail.

Sucks... can't have docker, can't have this, can't have that... like I said I dig FreeBSD even as a noob, but lack of options and info SUCKS for a noob.

So, has anyone successfully gotten a linux jail working on FN 11? My search suggest dead-ends :(

D

dlavigne

Linux jails had issues, the upstream code was not maintained, and they were removed quite some time ago. Bhyve/iohyve is the maintainable code path moving forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.