How to connect to NFS share from Windows 10

Thousandbuckle

Contributor
Hello all, long time CIFS user first time NFS user. :)

I have a NFS share setup on FreeNAS 9.10 and trying to figure out how to connect to it from a Windows 10 Pro machine. As I understand only Windows 10 Professional has the service for NFS built in so in my case I cant figure out what I need to do.

Could some one help me understand what steps I need to take to connect from a Windows 10 Pro client to a FreeNAS NFS share?

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about

Thousandbuckle

Contributor
You are correct and thats my question, how to connect to NFS on Windows 10 Pro which does not have native NFS support. I have tried finding some 3rd party applications I could use but having no good luck.

aookeopinetree

Dabbler
Does windows 10 pro really not have a NFS client? If it doesn't it is a step back from Windows 7 Pro and Ultimate which did have it. Win 7 Pro and Ult users got upgraded to Win 10 Pro and there isn't a 'ultimate' variant of Windows 10. Win10 Enterprise isn't available to anybody except large corporations so if Windows 10 Pro doesn't support NFS that is a really big step back.

Mirfster

Does windows 10 pro really not have a NFS client? If it doesn't it is a step back from Windows 7 Pro and Ultimate which did have it.
As far as I am aware starting with Windows 7, none of the "Pro" versions ever had NFS. They all had to be "Ultimate" or "Enterprise" versions. However, if I recall correctly, Windows XP Pro did (or was able to install "Services for Unix").

philhu

Patron
win 10 enterprise is the IONLY NFS supported windows

But the mount command is broken, the -o switch is supposed to take multiple arguments seperated by comma. They are accepted but ignored.

Also, to use it require a '-o nolock', turning locking off completely, which messes you up. I ended up goinhg back to samba mount

Mirfster

win 10 enterprise is the IONLY NFS supported windows
I was unsure if there was even a Win 10 Ultimate, so since there is not one I would agree that Enterprise is the only version of Win 10 that supports NFS.

However, I do know that Win 7 Ultimate and Enterprise also support NFS (have one running on a VM). ;)

No real idea on Win 8.1 cuz it sucks and I don't care to use it...

Almstsobur

Cadet
Go to control panel, add and remove programs, Windows features, check the boxes for NFS. You can do this on Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise, but not home edition. Works perfectly with my Freenas installation.

malum-in-se

Dabbler
Now that services for NFS and the NFS client is available with Windows 10 Pro, does anyone have any input for the proper way to do this? I've tried almost everything, and no matter what it ends up mapping to user -2, which I assume is anonymous.

bigzaj

Explorer
Can someone please post some more detail as to how they got this working with Windows 10? I've enabled NFS service in Freenas, created a NFS share. On windows I added the NFS service and Client for NFS service is running. Cannot mount or resolve NFS back to Freenas, getting error message 53 in command prompt. I can ping the IP address of the server, not what I am missing.

wolfy007

Cadet
Yup same here. Can connect to the FreeNAS box with MacOS, Linux and FreeBSD, but cant using NFS Client from windows. The NFS client for windows can connect to the NetApp nfs shares, and using 'showmount' displays its share, but wont work on the FreeNAS nfs service. Tried a few different configs on the NFS client for Windows (including setting for NFSv3-v4), but no luck, all I get is error message 53 after a timeout period.

scjet45

Cadet
Win 10 Pro now has NFS Client Services:
There is a good tutorial here:
https://graspingtech.com/mount-nfs-share-windows-10/

@malum-in-se (to get rid of "-2 mapping id's):
after adding
AnonymousUid
AnonymousGid
as per above links instructions, I left their "Data" value default, "0x0000...."
and after rebooting my Win10 Pro Client, I used the "mount -o anon ..." cmd, as per above link.

It should grab the uid/gid of your NFS server shares automatically for r/w ability.
In your Win10 pro (Clients) File Manager, right-click on the "Drive:" nfs mounted share,
select "Properties", and look in "NFS Attributes" which will show you the permissions, uid, gid, ...

Also, there is more details here:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771698(v=ws.11).aspx
(NFS Client services have been added to Win10 Pro, so the above should apply now as well).

NFS is king,
and I can't stand all that other bloated mess of Samba/CIFS/AFP/...
;)

Last edited:

averyfreeman

Contributor
I did this for the first time on a whim - damn, great results!

The test I performed was using CrystalDiskMark across a MoCA 2.0 network with other traffic going on (I watch HDHomeRun TV recorded on a FreeBSD VM) - still got the speeds you see below:

nfs_share_on_fabby_moca_t420.PNG

Note, if you want to do this test, NFS drive map will not show up in Windows Explorer (at least it didn't for me) so I chose 'Select Folder' in CDM and just typed in the map letter (I had mapped the share to N: ).

Also the command took me a minute to figure out because it was messed up on the web page of the example. It was:
Code:
c:\ mount -o anon \\192.168.1.35\path\to\nfs-share

in an administrator window (also, it didn't want to work in PowerShell - at least not for me).

Working pretty well for what has obviously been treated like an afterthought for the Windows dev team. Wish Samba would give me speeds like that:

FreeBSD_VM_SMB2_over_MoCA.PNG

drcrow

Cadet
@averyfreeman I am having some trouble getting FreeNAS NFS Share working with my Windows 10 PC. I was able to enable the service and mount the NFS Share fine, but when writing/copying files to the share I run into errors regarding locking.

The error was, "Error 0x80070021: The process cannot access the file because another process has locked". The only way to get my NFS Share to work normally was to mount the NFS Share withe -o nolock.

How'd did you get your NFS Share to work? Did you have to use nolock?

averyfreeman

Contributor
@averyfreeman I am having some trouble getting FreeNAS NFS Share working with my Windows 10 PC. I was able to enable the service and mount the NFS Share fine, but when writing/copying files to the share I run into errors regarding locking.

The error was, "Error 0x80070021: The process cannot access the file because another process has locked". The only way to get my NFS Share to work normally was to mount the NFS Share withe -o nolock.

How'd did you get your NFS Share to work? Did you have to use nolock?

Hey I'm sorry haven't been on this BBS in a while. I'm also not using that setup anymore, things constantly evolving in my homelab. The short answer is I don't really know or have a similar working environment I can test for you ATM, but I'll try and help the best I can.

I didn't use nolock, but I did mount as anon (uid/gid 0) which is root user. I may have also used no_root_squash on the NFS server (/etc/export flag)

Here's how I set up Windows for root NFS mount: https://graspingtech.com/mount-nfs-share-windows-10/

If you're concerned about security and you're using the share with other people (like in a work environment) this might not be a good idea.

re: Nolock, though, I don't think there's any problem mounting the share using the nolock flag. Just be careful not to edit the same file from two different places at the same time.

Obviously nolock is going to be a bad idea if you're using the share at work, too. Hope that helps!

dcol

Dabbler
I have a program that does not allow mapped drives and needs to access the NAS. I am staying away from SMB. What command will access an NFS share in Windows?
Lets say I just want to use the run command in Windows. How can I show the NFS share in Explorer just using a command without mapping the drive?

MoonKid

Cadet
This thread is quite old but still relevant.
My main problem is that the NFS-client of Win10 Pro does support ANSI and some other exotic(?) encodings.

The NFS server runs on Debian 10 on an ext4 filesystem. Connecting with a Linux-based NFS-client I have no problems with filename encodings. Who is responsible for the encoding? Win10 itself can handle asien characters in its own NTFS filesystem - why not in NFS?

I need unicode here because I have some asien characters in regular use.

needshelp

Dabbler
Is there a way to share via NFS to windows 10 with user authentication instead of changing the guid to root? One of the ixsystems videos says they do not support authentication on nfs shares and to set ownership of the share to the user with the permissions you want to grant anon access. Do I have that correct. I set a NFS share to a specific user/group. I can mount the drive in windows 10 using the mount command and see it in the file explorer. But when I double click the share in windows I get access denied/no permissions. I did not change the guid.

needshelp

Dabbler
Is there a way to share via NFS to windows 10 with user authentication instead of changing the guid to root? One of the ixsystems videos says they do not support authentication on nfs shares and to set ownership of the share to the user with the permissions you want to grant anon access. Do I have that correct. I set a NFS share to a specific user/group. I can mount the drive in windows 10 using the mount command and see it in the file explorer. But when I double click the share in windows I get access denied/no permissions. I did not change the guid.
So I tried following the graspingtech tutorial and can access the NFS share setting the guid and uid to the numbers of the user I want to access the shared drive. This seems to work so far even when I mount using -o anon option.