Error 53 mounting NFS share in Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been looking for a resolution to this issue, but I haven't come up with much. I used the guide posted on the following site to setup the NFS client on Windows 10:

https://graspingtech.com/mount-nfs-share-windows-10/

I get it all setup, but it never works. I always get a '53' error saying that the network path was not found. However it is correct. I have the same NFS share mounted in Ubuntu, and it works fine. It just doesn't work in Windows. I am not sure what would cause the issue.

Here is my NFS config:

server IP is 192.168.0.24
NFS Share Path is /mnt/Tower
The only option I have enabled is 'All Directories'
I have 'Mapall User' and 'Mapall Group' set to a specific user and group that exists on FreeNAS.

On the Windows machine I have installed the NFS client feature and the uid/gid setup in the registry for the user from FreeNAS for the Anonymous GID/UID setting. I have rebooted multiple times since setting that value.

The command I am using in Windows to map the drive is:

mount -o nolock anon \\192.168.0.24\mntT\Tower X:

No matter what I do I get "Network Error - 53"

I have tried disabling my firewall on my Windows machine and I get the same error.

As I stated at the beginning, the exact same NFS share is able to be mounted from Ubuntu just fine, so I think it has to be something on Windows, but I am not sure what else to try.

Any assistance would be appreciated. Let me know if there is any info that you need to assist with coming up with a fix.

Thanks in advance!

wblock

Documentation Engineer
I tried quotes and that resulted in the same error. I tried removing the space, but that just resulted in an error saying that i had to provide a drive letter "X:" to be mapped.

There is an extra "T" after mnt so it ends up being mntT\Tower

Maybe a typo but could be a problem as well if you are copy/pasting. It's simple to look over and could be an issue. Also in the adapter properties make sure that NFS is checked and move it up in the list to the top above the Microsoft Networks.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
I tried quotes and that resulted in the same error. I tried removing the space, but that just resulted in an error saying that i had to provide a drive letter "X:" to be mapped.
Doh, I see.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
@Mirfster , I get the same error when I simplify the command. Also, I did adjust the provider order, but that didn't have any effect.
In all honesty, I truly do not know if a non-enterprise version of Windows does properly support NFS. Not calling the author of the article a liar, just that with MS things tends to change a lot under the hood and what may have worked for v1607, may not hold true for v1703, v1709, etc...

If you have access to an Enterprise version of Windows or a Server Version (2008 R2 should suffice); then maybe try that on a test machine to see if you can connect.

On a side note, is there a driving reason that NFS is needed/required? Just curious...

I have tried it from Server 2016 Datacenter Edition and I get the same error.

I am just trying to get everyone moved over to one share type and the users that I have using SMB/CIFS are the most problematic.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Hmm, I don't recall having much of an issue in the past. However, I am running FreeNAS v9.10...

I do have a system that I could try some stuff on, but it is ~2 weeks into seeding a huge backup to CrashPlan and I really really don't want to mess with it until its done.

BTW, did you ever mention the version you are running?

Status
Not open for further replies.