How to Configure 5x16TB HDDs and 2x2TB SSDs

Jim Reese

Dabbler
I have a TrueNAS mini X+ which I just got up and running, with 5 16TB HDDs and 2 1.92TB SSDs. Any thoughts on how to configure this? The system has 32 GB RAM.

My thoughts: HDDs in a raidz1 (raidz2 just seems so wasteful—32TB down the drain :frown: ) for "regular" files, SSDs in a mirror for real-time audio (Logic X recording/mixing) and video editing (shotcut and iMovie).

Should I use part of the SSDs for SLOG/L2ARC?

Thanks in advance for any advice and thoughts.

Jim

Jim Reese

Dabbler
I understand that most people think that I should put the 5 16TB drives in a raidz2 config. Any idea what the resilvering time would be if I did raidz1?

Jim

ChrisRJ

Wizard
No:
  • It is not supported. So while it might work (others will have to tell that), it would be a fragile construct with a high risk of loosing all data on it.
  • SLOG: Not needed for your use-case
  • L2ARC: You will need at least 64 GB RAM to make it work properly

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
HDDs in a raidz1 (raidz2 just seems so wasteful—32TB down the drain :frown: ) for "regular" files
Do that at your peril... or mitigate the peril with a bulletproof backup strategy if you care about the data... but be prepared for a long process to restore the pool when you have a second failure during resilver.

No.

Jim Reese

Dabbler
Thanks for the replies. Looks like I'll go with raidz2 for the HDDs. (And mirror the SSDs.)

My plan is to use the HDD zpool as my home directory, while I want to use the SSDs for real-time processing of audio (Logic X recording/mixing) and video (shotcut and iMovie).

Question: Should I use iSCSI as the mechanism to best achieve this?

Thanks again!

Jim

ChrisRJ

Wizard

Jim Reese

Dabbler
I considered iSCSI because I thought that it was the only way to be able to have the zpool mounted as, say /home, while SMB is only a file service. I am probably showing my ignorance here, as I'm strictly a Linux (Unix) and Mac guy; I've never even owned a Windoze box.

It seems like you're saying that if I share/export the zpool via SMB, I can mount it as /home on my Mac and Linux boxes and use it for my home dirs. Is that correct?

Jim

ChrisRJ

Wizard
In my view it is not a good idea to move the entire home directory on a NAS. It creates a hard dependency. Also, what if you use multiple machines and want some settings differently? What, if Linux and Mac expect different content in a file with the same name?

Jim Reese

Dabbler
In this case, the entire home directory is just for one person on one machine (me in my recording studio), so I won't be changing settings and I'll be using the same machine (a Mac) always. Is it still a bad idea in this scenario.

Jim

Jim Reese

Dabbler
Update: I'm upgrading the memory tomorrow from 32GB RDIMM ECC to 128 GB (the max). Would this amount of memory change my using part of the SSDs for SLOG/L2ARC?

Thanks!

sretalla