SOLVED How to configure 3TB x4 storage on HP Proliant ML10 for FreeNAS 9.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

andey21

Dabbler
Hello,

I know I am asking a question that someone might asked, but I could't find a good answer to me.

The FreeNas box I am going to build is for backup (family photo, video, and some paperwork), PLEX (movies, songs), and Minecraft server, ownCloud, torrent download etc. I am not sure which option of storage configure is better for my purpose, but I will start with Raidz1. My question is:

If use Raidz1 ZFS, should I configure HD on BIOS setting?
These are 3 storage controllers:
1) SATA Legacy support;
2) SATA AHCI Suport;
3) Dynamic HP smart Array

Which one I should choose? Raidz1 is a right way ?

Thanks!

jdong

Explorer
How many more slots do you have? The recommendation these days is to choose between RAID-Z2 or a 2x2 mirrored striped config.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

andey21

Dabbler
How many more slots do you have? The recommendation these days is to choose between RAID-Z2 or a 2x2 mirrored striped config.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for help.

There are 2 more slots left, which are for CD ROM. Someone use Drive Adapter Brackets can hold two more HDs there.

What about if I do:
1+1 (2x 3tb) mirror for backup-->will give 3TB
1+1 (2x 3tb) stripe for media, download--->will give 6TB

Thanks.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
1+1 (2x 3tb) stripe for media, download--->will give 6TB
IMHO Stripe is even worse than RaidZ1... Stripe = Zero redundancy... You lose one drive; you lose the whole pool. There is always a decision to make between Space, Speed and Redundancy. Don't try to go getting the most space and having zero redundancy if you value your data at all...

andey21

Dabbler
IMHO Stripe is even worse than RaidZ1... Stripe = Zero redundancy... You lose one drive; you lose the whole pool. There is always a decision to make between Space, Speed and Redundancy. Don't try to go getting the most space and having zero redundancy if you value your data at all...

Thanks. Probably I will try mirror to get 6TB total, or add two more HDs go for Raidz2, but over my budget......

andey21

Dabbler
Can I use 4 HDs for Raidz2? Comparing with Mirror, which one is better?

Thanks.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Yes you can use 4 in a RaidZ2. You will have more redundancy (2 drive for the vdev) but less space (~4.7TB of Usable Space).

Running a mirror of 2x3TB will basically give you ~2.36TB of Usable Space. Doing two mirrors would give you ~4.7TB of Usable Space. However loss of more than one drive in either of the mirrors would result in loss of the entire pool.

Unless you have a significant need for mirrors (like iSCSI) then RaidZ2 is still the best choice IMHO. If iSCSI is in your plans, then you are going to need to consider using A LOT of RAM as well as not filling your pool over 50%.

Lastly (if you did not already know); you cannot just add drives to a RaidZ2 vdev (say trying to go from 4 to 6 drives) so that is not an option. If you are going to want a 6 drive RaidZ2 vdev, buy the two extra drives now and do it right from the start.

joeschmuck

Old Man
For what you currently want to do, RAIDZ2. As @Mirfster stated, it's best to get your pools deigned correctly from the start however if you cannot afford it now, you can build the 4 drive RAIDZ2 and then once you are able to buy the other two drives, backup all your data and then destroy your original pool and recreate it with the six drives, lastly copy back all your data. It's not a fun thing to do but many folks have limited budgets and are forced down that path. I could only afford four drives initially and then I purchased two more several months later and rebuilt my pool.

andey21

Dabbler
Yes you can use 4 in a RaidZ2. You will have more redundancy (2 drive for the vdev) but less space (~4.7TB of Usable Space).

Running a mirror of 2x3TB will basically give you ~2.36TB of Usable Space. Doing two mirrors would give you ~4.7TB of Usable Space. However loss of more than one drive in either of the mirrors would result in loss of the entire pool.

Unless you have a significant need for mirrors (like iSCSI) then RaidZ2 is still the best choice IMHO. If iSCSI is in your plans, then you are going to need to consider using A LOT of RAM as well as not filling your pool over 50%.

Lastly (if you did not already know); you cannot just add drives to a RaidZ2 vdev (say trying to go from 4 to 6 drives) so that is not an option. If you are going to want a 6 drive RaidZ2 vdev, buy the two extra drives now and do it right from the start.
For what you currently want to do, RAIDZ2. As @Mirfster stated, it's best to get your pools deigned correctly from the start however if you cannot afford it now, you can build the 4 drive RAIDZ2 and then once you are able to buy the other two drives, backup all your data and then destroy your original pool and recreate it with the six drives, lastly copy back all your data. It's not a fun thing to do but many folks have limited budgets and are forced down that path. I could only afford four drives initially and then I purchased two more several months later and rebuilt my pool.

Thanks a lot for you all kind suggestions.
I would wait for another 2 HDs coming and set up Raidz2 late. What I can do now is jut testing and testing....
My Freenas life is starting.....

joeschmuck

Old Man
Status
Not open for further replies.