How to address firmware version warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaaphod

Contributor
I'm getting:

WARNING: Firmware version 19 does not match driver version 20 for /dev/mps0. Please flash controller to P20 IT firmware.

I don't understand what this means or how to fix it. What controller does it refer to? is this something like a bios update, or does it refer to flashing something to my FreeNAS USB stick? where do I get the new version and how to I flash it?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
http://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_install.html#upgrading

The mps driver for 6G Avago SAS HBAs is version 20, which requires phase 20 firmware on the controller. It is recommended to upgrade the firmware before installing FreeNAS® or immediately after upgrading FreeNAS®, using the instructions in Alert. Running older firmware can cause many woes, including the failure to probe all of the attached disks, which can lead to degraded or unavailable arrays. While you can mismatch your firmware version with a higher version and things will “probably still work”, there are no guarantees as that driver and firmware combination is untested.

This is referring to your HBA controller firmware

Zaaphod

Contributor
I don't have any seperate controllers, just a supermicro A1SA7-2750F motherboard with Ram on it and drives plugged into it. I suppose this controller must be part of the motherboard? The only updates I see for the motherboard are an IMPI firmware update and a BIOS update, would it be part of one of those updates?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I don't have any seperate controllers, just a supermicro A1SA7-2750F motherboard with Ram on it and drives plugged into it. I suppose this controller must be part of the motherboard? The only updates I see for the motherboard are an IMPI firmware update and a BIOS update, would it be part of one of those updates?
The message indicates it is an AVAGO aka LSI controller on board. You need the AVAGO firmware like the message says.

Zaaphod

Contributor
I don't see any kind of instructions or specific details like it seems to be indicated there should be. I think I must be missing something.

There is a yellow circle blinking in the upper right corner of my FreeNAS screen, I click on it and I get a popup box with just

WARNING: Firmware version 19 does not match driver
version 20 for /dev/mps0. Please flash controller to P20 IT
firmware.

there is just an X to close the popup and that is all.. I'm not seeing any other options or any clue where to go to get this firmware update. I don't see anything like that on the supermicro drivers or updates section for my motherboard.

is there someplace else I should be going to look for more details?

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I don't have any seperate controllers, just a supermicro A1SA7-2750F motherboard
That motherboard has an LSI (Avago) 2116 controller on the board. It's a seperate SAS controller that runs the 16 SAS/SATA ports that run along the bottom of the board.

What the others are trying to tell you is you need to flash the on board controller to IT mode version P20 to match the driver that is included in FreeNAS 9.3.1

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I'm not sure why you didn't follow the link to the documentation that I provided. It tells you there. Just read the information, and follow the link to the Alert page. It says what you should do.

Zaaphod

Contributor
I'm not sure why you didn't follow the link to the documentation that I provided. It tells you there. Just read the information, and follow the link to the Alert page. It says what you should do.

I'm sorry if I'm missing something terribly obvious, I did follow the link you provided... the link

does not mention SAS at all except in the one entry you already quoted, which shows I really need to figure this out because there could be issues if I don't address it, but it does not mention anywhere how to fix it.

I am not doing an upgrade, this is an initial install. so almost everything on that upgrading page does not apply, other than it's strongly recommended to get version 20 firmware before installing if possible.. I can easily do a re-install once I figure out how to upgrade the firmware correctly.

This link above also does not have any further links to alerts or what to do to correct the problem, it only mentions alerts in 3 places, If an update goes wrong... it says, "If an update fails, an alert will be issued and the details will be written to /data/update.failed." Well, I don't have a failed update, I have a successful, up and running initial installation with a test hard drive, but with a warning showing. It mentions an Alert in relation to ZFS , and the third place it mentions alerts is

"The mps driver for 6G Avago SAS HBAs is version 20, which requires phase 20 firmware on the controller. It is recommended to upgrade the firmware before installing FreeNAS® or immediately after upgrading FreeNAS®, using the instructions in Alert. Running older firmware can cause many woes, including the failure to probe all of the attached disks, which can lead to degraded or unavailable arrays. While you can mismatch your firmware version with a higher version and things will “probably still work”, there are no guarantees as that driver and firmware combination is untested." Which you already pasted for me.. however I am not following what this is trying to say...

"upgrade the firmware before installing FreeNAS® or immediately after upgrading FreeNAS®, using the instructions in Alert" ---> Where are these instructions?? I don't have any instructions in the alert.. all I have, literally is a pop up box that reads
"WARNING: Firmware version 19 does not match driver
version 20 for /dev/mps0. Please flash controller to P20 IT
firmware."
This is not instructions, this is just which driver to get it to be, but where do I go to get the updated firmware and how does one flash it to the hardware??

The message indicates it is an AVAGO aka LSI controller on board. You need the AVAGO firmware like the message says.

The message does not say anything here is a screen shot of it. It's not an error I got when installing, it's a warning yellow blinking circle in the upper right hand corner of my FreeNAS UI the pop up is all I get, no link no details nothing else, just an X to close it. See image below

open

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_yMQAh8aSVfUVNFMEl6ejhySHM

There is no other information, there is nothing in this message that would indicare AVAGO or LSI, unless I knew that already.

So that is why I was so confused, but now I do understand that I have a controller chip on my motherboard, and the firmware for that chip needs to be updated, but still do not know where to find that updated firmware. I go to supermicro, thinking the motherboard manufacturer should have the latest drivers for all chips on the board. so I went here:
http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/atom/x10/a1sa7-2750f.cfm

and they have a BIOS update , and IPMI firmware update, and a place to download drivers, the drivers are all OS specific, so I pick one Linux option and get to a place where I could download this:

Description:
pixel.gif
LSI SAS 2116 (Linux)
Version:
pixel.gif
Post Date:
pixel.gif
06/12/2014
Link:
pixel.gif
| Download | Mirror 1 | Mirror 2 |

so I think this is what I almost need.. just the Version 20.00.00.00 instead of 19... because 19 is what it's complaining about.

So I did a web search for my LSI or Avago 2116 controller chip.. I cant' find a firmware update specifically for that either.. I find one for a 2108, presumably the same chip as the one I have except only 8 ports instead of 16, and I find this board:
http://www.avagotech.com/products/server-storage/host-bus-adapters/sas-9201-16i#downloads
which uses the same chip, but there's no telling if it's implemented the same way as it is on my motherboard. there are installers for popular operating systems for this board like installer_P20_for_Linux or installer_P20_for_FreeBSD, so should I use one of these or try to get one specifically for my motherboard, and / or the chip by itself

Zaaphod

Contributor
I'm happy to report that I Finally managed to upgrade my SAS firmware to 20. Now I can attach some hard drives to this and get started!

I ended up calling supermicro and avago and eventually got the right firmware update emailed to me.

Thank you to everyone for their help!

Hello,

we have the same Problem, FreeNAS 9.10 with P20 Driver and P19 Firmware on supermicro A1SA7-2750F Motherboard.
Supermicro only provides P19 for LSI 2116 on their Homepage.
Could any be so kind and send us the P20 firmware?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Metheos

Cadet
Hi Zaaphod,

Do you have the new P20 version 20.00.07.00 ?

Thank you,

I'm running the latest freenas on a supermicro A1SA7-2750F as well. I applied the P20 driver, but I'm getting lots of SCSI sense errors when there's lots of IO going on in the zpool. http://pastebin.com/ZTi5yjSV

A reboot seems to calm things down for a while. I'm wondering if a newer firmware is available for this board? I still only see P19 on supermicro's site and the version 20.00.00.00 in this thread is the only newer one I've seen.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Use LSI's stock firmware. The community is fed up of waiting for Supermicro to repackage the exact same thing.

GladLock

Cadet
I'm happy to report that I Finally managed to upgrade my SAS firmware to 20. Now I can attach some hard drives to this and get started!

I ended up calling supermicro and avago and eventually got the right firmware update emailed to me.

Thank you to everyone for their help!

Hey, can you email me that firmware? I just bricked my SAS2116 and I'm FREAKING OUT. Please, please, please - I'm about to lose my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.