How to add an SMB share to VLC player (Android app)?

James

Dabbler
Hello, I haven't been able to add my TrueNAS SMB share on VLC player(Android app), which has an option to add any network drive. Please see the attached image for the available parameters. I have tried connecting by using both IP address (192.xxx.xx.xx/sharename) and sharename with 445 as the port number, but none of them established a connection.

I also came across some suggestions regarding downgrading the SMB version to 1, but given some security concerns around that and VLC being capable of accepting higher versions of SMB, I didn't make any changes to the default settings.

Has anyone tried adding a share to VLC player or any Android device using apps like file explorer? I'd appreciate some help and guidance. Thank you!

Cheers,
James

Attachments

• SMB_VLC.jpg
    SMB_VLC.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 2,275
Did you uncheck "Prefer SMB 1" under VLC for Android? It's enabled by default, but should be unchecked.

You can find it under, More --> Settings --> Advanced

I have tried connecting by using both IP address (192.xxx.xx.xx/sharename) and sharename with 445 as the port number, but none of them established a connection.

Other than unchecking "Prefer SMB 1", the format to add a new SMB connection under VLC for Android is:
  • Server (IP address or hostname; no port, no folder, no share name)
  • The share name (as named under TrueNAS --> Sharing --> SMB)
  • A friendly name, such as "NAS Media" to locate in your favorites
  • You won't be prompted for a username/password until the first time you attempt to access the share in VLC

Last edited:

James

Dabbler
Hi @winnielinnie, thanks for your help. I forgot to mention in my post that I had unchecked "prefer SMB1" from the settings. However, I tried your first suggestion to add without including port/share name - once with just IP address and then the hostname. Unfortunately, none of them seem to work. I don't see any prompt for a username/password. When I open the added folder from favorites, it says "loading" - and it stays like that forever (tried for 15 mins :smile:). I don't know if it is establishing any connection to the server because any random name I give, it will show up in the favorites. Appreciate further suggestions.

millst

Contributor
I'm not sure how different the VLC release for Apple is, but it works fine from my phone. I don't even have SMB1 enabled on the NAS. The VLC UI does have fields for entering the name/password for authentication.

James

Dabbler
Hi @millst .. thanks for your note. I wish that was the case with Android too. I've tried many times, but so far it hasn't worked. In fact, it didn't even work when I tried connecting to file explorer app. Hoping to get some tips from this forum.

In fact, it didn't even work when I tried connecting to file explorer app.
I don't think it's a VLC issue if neither VLC nor File Explorer can connect to the share.

How is it configured on TrueNAS's end?

James

Dabbler
Hi @winnielinnie - yes, I think it is something on the TrueNAS side, but I don't know what I am missing. I've set up SMB shares (default settings). The shares are mapped (using ip address and credentials) and perfectly accessible from my Windows PC, just can't get to map these from Android devices using VLC or file explorer apps. Is there anything specific I should be looking at? I'd appreciate your help.

Can you share a screenshot of the Share's configuration and the Service -> SMB global configuration?

millst

Contributor
Can you use smb://user_name:password@server_name format to specify the name/pw?