How to acces boot error log

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuoski

Cadet
Im new to this.
Installed FreeNAS. When it boots up, it just restarts at one point, over and over and over again.
Now my question is, how I access the error log. Booted up with the freenas setup and opened console from there.
Tried to mount the HDD, with no luck at all.

So my question, is there any step by step guide how to actually access the error log on the HDD?
And where it actually is? How do I moun and access the HDD where freenas is installed?

joeschmuck

Old Man
Lets start out by first following our forum rules (please read them, link at the top of each forum page) and post the required information we need to assist in helping you figur out what is going on.

As I understand your posting I think you are saying that you can bootstrap FreeNAS up to the Console. Can you enter the Shell?

If you are running on substandard hardware (less than 8GB RAM, Laptop, etc...) then while some of may provide some helpful tips, most of use will not help at all because you would be running a setup which is more likely to fail since FreeNAS was designed to run on Server Grade hardware.

Im new to this.
Read the forums, read the User Manual, you need to become familiar with FreeNAS, it's not an install and forget application.

Good Luck, hope you post back with the needed info.

Tuoski

Cadet
I can access console by booting on the usb stick which i created from the installation image. There selecting console.

I did read some documentation and forum but didn't come across any topics actually showing how to access it when system doesn't boot...

joeschmuck

Old Man
So you are not booting up the actual FreeNAS bootable media but rather the installation media.

How about the other requested data?

Tuoski

Cadet
The usb is created from the .iso file, and there I ran the installer to install it to the HDD. Now im bootin to that same USB and selecting console, just for trying to find the log file from the normal bootup.
The system is a normal desktop with 8gb ram

core 2 duo e2200
Abit Fatality F190HD
buch of hard drives, installed on 2 different but not any better luck.

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
The way FreeNAS works you really can't do much from the boot loader. I suspect that your chipset on the motherboard is causing you issues. While this may not be the best advice, why don't you try an older version of FreeNAS, maybe 8.3.1, see if that works. That comes to mind becasue someone else is having a problem and they are using that same version. FreeNAS is not his issue, a hard drive was. So my point here is an earlier version may support your hardware, assuming you are looking for basic NAS functionality.

Now if you want to run the current version of FreeNAS I can tell you what might work, it's a round about way and way outside normal advice I'd give a new person here and I would not recommend this as your fix for a normal NAS, you can run ESXi on your system and then create a VM of FreeNAS, then pass through the SATA ports for the hard drives and run up the FreeNAS software. Odds are it will work if your hardware is solid.

Speaking of solid hardware, have you run the basic tests like MemTest86+ and a CPU Stress Test to ensure your system is stable?

Tuoski

Cadet
I agree, that propably the motherboard is giving me problems..
Im just running memtest86 on the system, just to make sure.

This is the last thing i see in the FreeNAS bootup before it restarts.
https://ibb.co/fFYuh7
fFYuh7

joeschmuck

Old Man
Ah, I see your problem, the Microsoft Natural Keyboard, yeap that is it. Kidding of course. It looks like it's getting pretty far in the boot process. And then it goes no further? How long did you wait? How large is the boot drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.