How should I deal with this failure?

BottomsUp

Dabbler
This is a 2 disk mirror. the disks are pretty old so I guess I should offload all of the data, re-built from scratch with 2 new disks and load the data back?
IMG_5071.jpeg

You can check the smart status or run a long self test, but those errors are an indication of impending doom. In fact some data may already be corrupted since there are errors on both drives. Backup your config and data ASAP.

FYI, FreeNAS is now TrueNAS. When you build a new system, install TrueNAS instead. Also, there were alerts in January and mid May. When you set up the new system, its highly recommended you set up email notifications on alerts so you can take immediate action to prevent data loss.

smartctl -a /dev/ada0
smartctl -a /dev/ada1
smartctl -t long /dev/ada0
smartctl -t long /dev/ada1

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
I guess I should offload all of the data, re-built from scratch with 2 new disks and load the data back?
I guess you could. But if it were I, I'd replace the one disk, then the other. No need to move data off-pool and then back on.

I guess you could. But if it were I, I'd replace the one disk, then the other. No need to move data off-pool and then back on.
Which one first? Maybe the one already booted from the array?

danb35

Hall of Famer

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
ada0 first, as that seems to be further along the path to death.

Etorix

Wizard
If you have enough spare ports, just plug the new drives and replace both drives in one go!