How long did your ASROCK c2550d4i or c2750d4i last

Redcoat

MVP
FWIW, I took pictures as best as I could of the two motherboards.

Little looks different other than the serial number and firmware stickers. I presume that the revised circuitry is hidden under the heat sink of the CPU. I wasn't going to touch that.

So your Mini is back from iXsystems, all OK I assume. My observation of my new board was the same - different S/N and stickers was all I could see.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Oh I have issues with the current setup but I haven't had the time to address them yet. The good news is that I have been able to address some of them, such as reprogramming all the BIOS stuff. I have not yet had any luck with the CTRL-M at bootup to configure the Marvell controller. Need to try a different keyboard, I suppose. More on that later.

The motherboard works but now the Chelsio 520 that IX private labels does not. It's pretty hilarious - successful handshake with the mikrotik switch, green activity lights, "up" status in ifconfig and... NO GO. No successful ping to the gateway, nada.

Better yet, because the system thinks the CXL0 is up, this failure also blocks the failover LAGG from working as intended, as the failover does not notice that no traffic is successfully passing through the Chelsio card. I will try to file a bug report on that later today.

Last edited:

dreamerns

Dabbler
No HDD is bottleneced by SATA 3Gb/s. Even then, Intel SATA 3Gb/s might actually be faster than Marvell SATA 6Gb/s.
@Ericloewe @Pitfrr Hooked to Intel SATA port and booted FreeNAS 11.1, I was able to import my volume without problem (even if it is still in degraded state, waiting for hd replacement). In meantime I talked to ASRock support and will send them motherboard for RMA after holidays. I talked to 3 different people in their support team. They were all very helpful and responsive. While motherboard might have lot of issues, at least ASRock support is really good :smile: Thank you all for your help and happy holidays :smile:

shineofleo

Cadet
I just registered and need to post here.

I bought my C2550 on April 2014. Just now I found that it was actually, dead (It was on all the time but I have not access the SMB share for weeks). IPMI works, but the computer just refuses to boot up. It was connected with a monitor, and no post no nothing just black screen.

So the MB has been older than 3 years at least 6 months, which means it is out of warranty. I think I am the lucky one that uses this MB long enough?

Now I am using a mini-itx case so my options are quite limited. Or I need to get a bigger case so I can fit supermicro micro Atx in?

No one to blame, but I really hate those products just get broken beyond the warranty time. And it is MB, my other ASUS MB works all right lasts more than 5 years... :(

Pitfrr

Wizard
@shineofleo: look this post (and that's what I've been told by AsRock as well), AsRock is extending the warranty to 4 years so you could still RMA the board.
So I would contact AsRock and start the RMA process. Good luck. ;-)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Even if they weren't, it can't hurt to try. It's not unusual for companies to offer good will replacements for known defects or crazy defects out of warranty (unless their name is "Volkswagen", then they'll pretend their 1.9L TDI engine doesn't have a faulty turbo even though everyone is fully aware that it does).

harald%

Cadet
My board (C2550D4I) died after 2 1/2 years. Neither the vendor nor ASRock respond to requests if they extend the warranty in Germany too. I think the vendor (sold through Amazon) went out of business since they had no user feedback in the last 90 days. I guess I'm out of luck.
I don't think I will try ASRock again. The C3000 Series boards by Supermicro look like a good choice. There is one (A2SDi-2C-HLN4F) which has a dual core C3338 and 8 SATA3 ports. Enough for my small server (4 data disks + system).

Last edited:

Redcoat

MVP
Don't give up on chasing them until you get an answer, at least from Asrock anyway.
Good luck.

harald%

Cadet
Don't give up on chasing them until you get an answer, at least from Asrock anyway.
Good luck.
After pestering them again the shop finally replied. I was asked to send in the board. They informed me that the exchange may take up to 5(!) weeks.

T-Monster

Dabbler
It's been a while since I've been on this forum, but thought that I'd just reply with a "me too" about the Mobo failures...
I bought mine in Nov 2015 and it died this week... just dead, nothing (BMC still works/worked)... so I'm writing to ASRock to start the process...

I don't claim to have the oldest / longest running, but this is still a thing...

harald%

Cadet
After pestering them again the shop finally replied. I was asked to send in the board. They informed me that the exchange may take up to 5(!) weeks.
To finish this story: the replacement arrived free of charge and my server is running again :smile:

Redcoat

MVP
Good to hear! So this was, in the end, a warranty replacement through Asrock's distribution network in Germany?

chippy94

Cadet
I purchased mine in April of 2015 and it lasted up until yesterday. It became non-responsive last night and then suddenly just started refusing to post. No bios, no vga, nothing in console redirection. IPMI functions but I've got NA values for several power rails (3+,5+, and 12+). ASRock customer service has referred me to their RMA department. As I've had it for 3 years now I hope that they're willing to warranty it without any serious issues. It was working really well and I didn't really have any performance issues. I really don't want to get a new board as that entails also getting new ram and frankly I'm not interested in spending the roughly 800 dollars that would take to make a comparable system with today's parts. Additionally, I'm not even all that certain that the c3750 is really an upgrade.

cods69

Explorer
Add me to this list. Had it since Nov 2015. No post, but have IPMI.
Pretty disappointing. Contacting ASRock now and will update here with results.

EDIT1: Heard back from ASRock after initiating support from online form. Got the usual checklist of things to do and replied. Awaiting response.

EDIT2: 19 Jul. After checks acknowledged by ASRock support, they can't support a 'customers customer' so I have to go through a distributor they identified for this serial number, for the Aus region. Kogan (who it was purchased from) were unwilling to assist.

EDIT3: 30 Jul. Still trying to get someone to assist. ASRock passed me to PBTech.com who then tried to pass me back to Kogan (originally sold it to me but are not interested in RMA and no longer reply to myself or PBTech who attempted escalation), now going back to PBTech and no reply for 3 business days so far. Will have to go back through ASRock again if noone is going to help. If you bought one of these in Australia (especially off Kogan), prepare yourself for some pain.

EDIT4: 2 Aug. PBTech have not replied in over a week, after several chase-up messages. I've now alerted ASRock of the situation and am awaiting their response. Not a great customer experience from my perspective.

EDIT5: 6 Aug. PBTech still have not replied, so I've sent another help request via their generic channel to see if I get a reply there, as the person I dealt with before could have left or is on vacation. *sigh* No reply from ASRock either.

EDIT6: 7 Aug. Called PBTech this time and they said they were still waiting for the invoice I sent to them on the 26th Jul. I've given them the information again and am awaiting response.

EDIT6.1 7 Aug. Finally got some action from PBTech, with an RMA number and board was sent by Parcelpost (free to the sender in Australia), which was nice of them.

EDIT7: 19 Aug. Parcel still in transit to PBTech. No longer a fan of Parcelpost. Over a month since it failed now.

EDIT8: 22 Aug. So ParcelPost are terrible. Showed still in transit on the 17th Aug, then on the 21st, came up showing as arrived on the 13th Aug. Seems it went back in time, and vanished. PBTech acutally got in touch with me on the 20th saying they will keep an eye out for it, but I've been in contact less than 12 hours ago and they don't have it yet.

EDIT9: 24 Aug. No advice from PBTech nor any more updates from ParcelPost, so I called PP to check on status of the package. Their immediate assumption was it was waiting for me at the place I dropped it off! I made it clear that should not be, so after 20 mins of them not being able to locate one of their own packages, they are following up with their courier and will (perhaps) get back to me. I've also advised PBTech of the situation. I've had to do at least 12 RMA's in the last 20 years, and I hoped I had been through the worst one, but this is right up there. If I had have known ParcelPost were this bad I would have gladly covered the cost of an overnight courier myself.
Untitled-1.jpg <- from today

EDIT9.1 24 Aug. Heard back from ParcelPost and PBTech that it's been delivered. Waiting for their diagnostic assessment, then with luck, ASRock don't send one back via ParcelPost!

EDIT10 28 Aug. No updates from PBTech. I understand there may be a queue of work, but considering they knew how long I've been waiting I thought they may have expedited this case at least a little.

EDIT11 29 Aug. PBTech advised a replacement board is on the way and should be here in about a week. I've asked PBTech if the replacement is one of the fixed Intel C2000 series, and I've also sent a request to ASRock to find how to identify if this is in fact a 'fixed' version.

Last edited:

chippy94

Cadet
Good news! The extended warranty was honored by ASRock and I received a new board within a very short time of sending my old one in to them. The new board is working like a charm now.

cods69

Explorer
(cont'd from last post above, thought this was worth a (final) new post)
EDIT12 3 Sep. Received the new board which is a Rev 1.03, rather than the old 1.02. Stickers indicated 0.30.00 BMC and 2.90 BIOS, but after installing found the latest version were loaded (0.35.00 BMC and 3.20 BIOS)
Board does appear brand new. As expected, it works just fine and even seems to have solved an intermittent problem with a specific SATA slot, which is a bonus.
As for answers or clarification from ASRock to my question, I've quoted the reply below. It's not nearly as good as the Supermicro reply I saw recently, so I'll just have to hope and plan for any future issues should they arise.

"As we know that the Intel bug was not always happened, so we’ll have troubleshooting/analyzing when received the MB.
And we will do the MB replacement to customer once confirm the board is failed to power ON, if the MB is under warranty period.
If there have problems while the board you received, please let us know. Thank you.

Sincerely yours,
ASROCK RACK Incorporation"

Stubb

Dabbler
My second C2750D4I died earlier this month. It was streaming a video to our TV via Plex and then…nothing. ASRock is replacing it again under warranty and claims to have updated firmware that addresses the Avoton timer bug. Whether or not that's the case, I'll be putting together a new home server sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

Jimmy Dahlin

Dabbler
My C2750D4I just died, it have been running from February 2016. Just wrote to AsRock, so let's see what they answer. Was streaming a movie via Plex on friday night and on saturday morning it was dead.