How jail mount points work - (in this case, need for Transmission)

WizFidER

Cadet
Hello everyone today, I need help today to understand how mount points work.

The goal in my case is to understand, to be able to make a mount point in the Transmission jail. The idea is to be able to find in my general directory the films that I have downloaded with transmition and the films that I already have.

But not knowing how it works, I don't know if the movies I already have will be copied from my general folder to the media folder of the transmition jail because of this famous mount point.

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
A jail mount is not a copy. You're actually mounting a dataset on the host into a mount point (some directory) in the jail.

Within the jail, make sure you also define the appropriate users and groups with UID/GID matching those of the mounted dataset.

WizFidER

Cadet
A jail mount is not a copy. You're actually mounting a dataset on the host into a mount point (some directory) in the jail. Within the jail, make sure you also define the appropriate users and groups with UID/GID matching those of the mounted dataset.

Thank you for your answer but I must admit that your answer is a little too complex for me.

To put it simply, if I do a mount point between a dataset (which already contains files) and the transmition media directory, what will happen? Transmission will have access to the files initially present in my dataset?

In fact, the mount point corresponds to a "shortcut to" , to a "common folder" or is it really a "copy to"?

Samuel Tai

In simple terms, let's assume your Transmission media directory is /media inside the plugin, and your dataset on the host is /mnt/tank/all-media. Create a jail mount from the host's /mnt/tank/all-media dataset to the plugin's /media directory. After the mount, you'll be able to see the contents of /mnt/tank/all-media in /media. There is no copying; /media has become a pointer to /mnt/tank/all-media.

WizFidER

Cadet
Yes nice, thank you for your answer
I have last question, when plex read the /mnt/tank/all-media, and the pointer between /media and /mnt/tank/all-media is ok, Plex can read the files or movies who placed in /media by Transmission ?

Samuel Tai

Yes, but you'll need to make sure Transmission writes everything with the UID:GID plex expects, which is 972:972, and into the directory structure within the dataset plex expects (movies in /Movies, music in /Music, etc.).

GJL

Cadet
I am having a similar problem. I have set up UrBackup in a TrueNAS jail according to Alecmascot's instruction. This was great right up until the line:

Then back to the TrueNAS gui to setup the mountpoint for the backup data (with the jail stopped) and back into Urbackup to make the settings you need

Great set up a mountpoint ( /mnt/Martha/Back )and UrBackup seems to be looking at the right area /mnt but can't see anything else.

so, permissions? I added urbackup as a user on the folder from the TrueNAS GUI both with and without a password. Lots of recommendations out there to "add urbackup user to folder" but no info on how to do that within TrueNAS. The above advice " Within the jail, make sure you also define the appropriate users and groups with UID/GID matching those of the mounted dataset.", however, I do not see any options to set users within the jail.

I have added users to UrBackup that match users with permissions to the TrueNAS dataset.

Clearly I am missing something pretty basic here, what is the next step.

GJL

Cadet
I am having a similar problem. I have set up UrBackup in a TrueNAS jail according to Alecmascot's instruction. This was great right up until the line:

Then back to the TrueNAS gui to setup the mountpoint for the backup data (with the jail stopped) and back into Urbackup to make the settings you need

Great set up a mountpoint ( /mnt/Martha/Back )and UrBackup seems to be looking at the right area /mnt but can't see anything else.

so, permissions? I added urbackup as a user on the folder from the TrueNAS GUI both with and without a password. Lots of recommendations out there to "add urbackup user to folder" but no info on how to do that within TrueNAS. The above advice " Within the jail, make sure you also define the appropriate users and groups with UID/GID matching those of the mounted dataset.", however, I do not see any options to set users within the jail.

I have added users to UrBackup that match users with permissions to the TrueNAS dataset.

Clearly I am missing something pretty basic here, what is the next step.
It seems that I did not read the instructions quite well enough, though they could have been clearer. The destination needed to be specified better so that I could find it from the GUI. As I knew UrBackup could see the /mnt folder, I added the folders there.

/mnt/Martha/iocage/jails/B1/root/mnt/Martha/Back

Redundant naming but seems to be working.