How do i see live transfer speeds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichTJ99

Patron
Hi,

I am interested in checking file transfer performance with my freenas box. I looked under reporting/network (attached). Is 200M, 200,000,000 bits per second or 200 Megabits per second which is 25 Megabytes per second?

25 Megabytes per second being 1/4 of a 100 meg network connection?

I am trying to figure out the difference of speed on a windows transfer window.

If I send a large file from a windows box to freenas on a 1 gig connection I get around 100m which I thought is the limit of a 1g network card.

Sorry - i am a little confused on the terms but would appreciate some education.

Thanks,
Rich

Attachments

• networking.JPG
    networking.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 302

jgreco

Resident Grinch
A "100 meg" network connection typically means 100 megaBITS, so 25 megabytes per second works out to just shy of a quarter of a gigabit connection, or about two and a half "100 meg" network connections.

Suggestion: drop the abbreviations unless you're willing to use standard, unambiguous abbreviations.

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/terminology-and-abbreviations-primer.28174/

Once you start using consistent abbreviations, and you learn the simple math that 1 byte is approximately 8 bits, you can figure that 100MBytes/sec works out to about 800 Mbits/sec, etc. They won't always be exact. Windows, for example, may be measuring the speed at which it is sending file data, which, when you consider packet headers and all that, turns into more than a mere stream of bits. Still, it's close.

RichTJ99

Patron
Thank you - that makes sense. So if I have a 200 MBit/sec transfer, then I am only using 25% of the 100MBytes/sec. Is that likely due to it being a slower AMD N40L based server?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Our N36L soaks up backups at anywhere between 300-500Mbit/sec, but that's from multiple clients over NFS. A lot of this gets very finicky when you're running a CPU full out.

Status
Not open for further replies.