How do I modify an /etc/*.conf

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAlbertson

Dabbler
How do I modify an /etc/*.conf file? Obviously, I want it will "stick" between re-boots?

CAlbertson

Dabbler
First, you should read and follow the forum guidlines, your thread title "how to" doesn't meet requirement #2:

Fixed the question to match the title as I don't think I can fix titles. Title is now a short version of question.

Sorry, I've not yet found the place in the FAQ where it explains how to modify a *.conf file and have it stay across reboots. Would you have a more specific link?

I will start a new thread asking about making source level changes.

CAlbertson

Dabbler
The FAQ question is pretty close but there is no definitive answer, just a link to the forum.
The forum postings point to /conf/base/etc/* So I find the file I want to modify in /conf/base and it looks not a lot like the live file in /etc. So I assume so script edits the files. How to change ther file in /conf, so that the current or future scripts don't edit out my changes.

I guess the best answer is "experiment" or just run the full-up BSD or Linux if you want to do stuff like that.

CAlbertson

Dabbler
The above is what I tried. In general it works but not for NTP.
On your running system look at /conf/base/etc/ntp.conf and compare it to /etc/ntp.conf
It looks like the edits I made to not get used and yes they are there on the flash drive but it looks like /etc/ntp.conf is made not using the file on the flash.

What I want to do is ad a GPS reference clock.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
That file is likely reviewed and recreated every reboot by the middleware. You can't add your settings through the GUI?

As a pretty hard and fast rule, if the GUI allows you to do something you pretty much have to do it through the GUI...

ProtoSD

MVP
What I want to do is ad a GPS reference clock.

You're basically trying to reinvent the wheel. If you spend some time and read the docs, or spend some time exploring the GUI, you'll discover there's already a place in the GUI to do what you want.

CAlbertson

Dabbler
Please, where in the GUI? I looked and the only thing I could do is add a server line. Adding a GPS reference clock requires adding one more file into the /etc/directory. and I need some non-server lines in /etc/ntp.conf

Milhouse

Guru
The only NTP-related GUI settings are on the System -> Settings tab, where you can enter up to three timeservers.

If you want to add additional settings to /etc/ntp.conf, you'll need to hack /etc/rc.d/ix-ntpd (applying the changes to /conf/base/etc/rc.d/ix-ntpd to make them permanent) as it is ix-ntpd that writes out /etc/ntp.conf from scratch each the ntpd service is started... You can also create the additional file from within ix-ntpd. I'm really not sure why there is an ntp.conf at all in /conf/base/etc, as it's ignored.

Status
Not open for further replies.