how to make an app start at boot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pallfreeman

Dabbler
I'm using RC1. For my app "something", I'm used to doing:

something_enable="YES"

in /etc/rc.conf and putting my start/stop script into /usr/local/etc/rc.d/something.

I can "onestart" my app OK, but the boot-time settings seem volatile -- they don't survive a reboot.

I've already stumbled across /conf/base/etc/fstab and added an entry to mount my vanilla-UFS extra drive, and I'm guessing I can add my something_enable to /conf/base/etc/rc.conf, but how do I add to /usr/local/etc/rc.d?

How can I make my app start at boot, please?

pallfreeman

Dabbler
Yes, I can hack /conf/base/etc/rc.conf OK.

But: buggerit! My carefully crafted use of the "pw" command to add user and group for my app seems ineffective too -- /etc/passwd and /etc/group are regenerated at boot time. Is there any equivalent of "pw" which works on the SQL db? I hate SQL.

Since I don't have the option of adding 3rd-party cruft from the GUI, I'm trying to keep it simple -- just ./install.sh after ssh'ing in and unpacking the archive. I don't fancy having to explain how to create the user+group from the GUI before installing...

Durkatlon

Patron
There's a thread about mass-adding users to the system. The idea was to use the .dump command in SQLite to dump the entire configuration database to a text file, stick the new users in there through some batch mechanism, then re-import it. You might want to ask there how much success was had with that method.

pallfreeman

Dabbler
alpha 2

Thanks, I'll go look there.

I figured out how to get startup scripts to stay in /usr/local/etc/rc.d -- it's regenerated from /conf/base/etc/local/rc.d, so I write a copy in there as well.

My installer already checks for the server's user and group and doesn't try to add them if it finds them, so for the moment I can get by with documenting that they need to be added from the GUI before installing.

There has to be a simple way of doing this, though, else how does the GUI do it?

Edit: I HATE SQL. I do Solaris admin for food, and the Oracle guys freak me out even more than the suits. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.