How do I import a VM appliance in OVF?

leckyBill

Dabbler
I would like to make use of pre-build turnkey appliance VMs. Can I import OVF or is there a repo of turnkey VMs that can be added to Scale?

beagle

Explorer

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Right now this importation would be a manual process.. the UI/API needs some additions
After the initial SCALE documentation is available (planned for 21.06), we'll see if we can add this. In the meantime, it will need a community contribution to this thread.

leckyBill

Dabbler
Right now this importation would be a manual process.. the UI/API needs some additions
After the initial SCALE documentation is available (planned for 21.06), we'll see if we can add this. In the meantime, it will need a community contribution to this thread.
OK, Thanks. Is it a complicated manual process right now? I tried creating a new VM with existing disks but is didn't really work and this is just part of what needs to be imported. I tried to map other details from the OVF, but not everything maps well. In the end the VM would not let me save and I wasn't able to work out what the problems was. No errors, just no save, the button did nothing.

Trexx

Dabbler
Thanks for giving some rough ideas on timing of when some of the enhancements might be able to start being looked at.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
An OVF is just a tar archive with a disk image and some metadata inside. A local installation of qemu on your desktop/laptop should bring the tools to convert vmdk to raw. Then you could create a VM in the SCALE UI and afterwards dd the raw disk image to the zvol.

Xenouniv3rse

Dabbler
An OVF is just a tar archive with a disk image and some metadata inside. A local installation of qemu on your desktop/laptop should bring the tools to convert vmdk to raw. Then you could create a VM in the SCALE UI and afterwards dd the raw disk image to the zvol.
I did this and still cant get past the UEFI screen, can someone help me please

mgoulet65

Explorer
When this was happening to me it was because I was using the wrong pathname for the ZVOL. Unintuitively, you do not use the name you've given it in Truenas. You have to find the device in /dev and "dd if=MY-OVA-FILE of=" to that instead.

Xenouniv3rse

Dabbler
When this was happening to me it was because I was using the wrong pathname for the ZVOL. Unintuitively, you do not use the name you've given it in Truenas. You have to find the device in /dev and "dd if=MY-OVA-FILE of=" to that instead.
I am trying to convert a .vmdk file, I place them under /dev/zvol/vm-name. Is that where they should be? Or should it be /dev/Pool/vm-name

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
/dev/zvol/<pool name>/<path/to/your/VM/zvol/device>