Enabling custom VM settings

MAHDTech

Cadet
Hi,

I have a requirement to tweak a few settings for VMs that aren't available in the UI.

For example I would like to enable nested virtualization and change a NIC to be of type 'vmxnet3' so I can test ESXi

When using virsh to edit the VM manually the settings work, but any interaction with the VM via the TrueNAS UI results in the settings being wiped.

I realize that TrueNAS SCALE is targeted as an 'appliance' but is there a way to allow custom tweaking of the VM configuration through the TrueNAS interface so it applies through the middleware correctly.

Alternatively is it safe to create VMs directly with virsh and have the UI ignore them?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
No (at least not yet) and no.

Without a VM created in the UI already running, you can't even use virsh.

I don't recall where I saw it, but during the Beta period, it was well established that messing around with virsh wouldn't be supported at all.

You'll have to wait for a later stage of development to see more options exposed via the middleware/GUI.

MAHDTech

Cadet
Thanks,

I was able to get virsh to work ok by setting an alias, but yeah definitely not supported as VMs go missing and have their settings reset.

Really not useful at this point in time so I will look into other options.

In case others come across the same use case, I've logged a suggestion for the future here https://jira.ixsystems.com/browse/NAS-116367

Cheers.

Last edited: