TrueNAS Scale removing custom libvirt options

Numline1

Cadet
Hi! I've recently migrated to TrueNAS Scale (away from Proxmox, just for a homelab server). I own a ConBee II USB stick used to control ZigBee devices (lights, wall plugs etc). The management software used to be in one of my VMs, which I've migrated recently. I've been trying to set up a passthrough for USB stick, however there seems to be no option for that in the UI (only PCI devices).

I went ahead and used `virsh edit <vm_name>`. I've added the following code:

Code:
    <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='usb' managed='no'>
      <source>
        <vendor id='0x1cf1'/>
        <product id='0x0030'/>
      </source>
      <address type='usb' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </hostdev>

and called `virsh start <vm_name>`. All was well, until I had to restart the VM using the web UI. Once the VM was started, the XML went missing from the VM dump, USB device was gone and so were my hopes and dreams.

I'm wondering what the reason behind re-generating the VM config is or whether there's a way to avoid it?

Thanks!

Arwen

MVP
In general, changes made from the command line are not maintained through reboot or updates.

If their is no GUI option for custom "libvirt" options, perhaps adding a feature request is in order. TrueNAS Scale is still in pre-release stage, so missing options are to be expected.

Numline1

Cadet
In general, changes made from the command line are not maintained through reboot or updates.

If their is no GUI option for custom "libvirt" options, perhaps adding a feature request is in order. TrueNAS Scale is still in pre-release stage, so missing options are to be expected.

Thanks Arwen (cool nickname btw). Is there any recommended way to suggest features as of now? I'm still fairly new to this ecosystem.

inman.turbo

Contributor
. Is there any recommended way to suggest features as of now?
Click "Report a Bug" in the banner at the top of the page ^^. It will bring you to jira, where you can also make feature requests or suggestions to the devs. FYI though it's best to suggest making the feature you require in the UI. Traditionally Truenas systems don't retain changes that don't go through the middleware, and that's not likely to change. The idea is to be able to do everything you need in the UI where the web app can track changes and store them in configs to be used for migrations and restoring backups.

Arwen

MVP
@Numline1, your welcome.

I've not had a chance to use TrueNAS Scale, but I think I may try it for my next NAS.

Numline1

Cadet
Unfortunately, I can't seem to be able to access that Jira instance, keeps loading and loading (both Firefox and Chrome), so I'll give it a shot tomorrow :)