How do i edit MiniDLNA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris230291

Patron
Hello. I would like to know how i can delete some of the default folders MiniDLNA appears to have created. The folders are ...

"Browse Folders"
"Music"
"Pictures"
"Video"

All of which I don't want. Instead, i want only the folders i have created in the source directory to appear. At the moment i have to select "Browse folders" to see said folders.

I have managed to access FreeNas via SSH, but i have no idea where to look to find and delete these folders. Can someone point me in the right direction please? Am i even going about this the right way?

Cheers,
Chris.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Are you talking about the folders displayed on your video device (please list all devices you have tried) or are these actually folders which you have located within MiniDLNA?

Also you might consider sharing your configuration information for MiniDLNA and where your videos, music, and photos are stored (whichever apply). Screenshots are very helpful.

Chris230291

Patron
Hello. Yes these folders are displayed on the video devices (presumably) by MiniDLNA?
I have tried it with XBMC, XBOX and an iPhone app. They all show the same.

Ok, So i have my RAID set called "RAID-Set".
Inside that i have several datasets, but the one I'm using with MiniDLNA is "Media".
I have a "Mount Point" linking this dataset to the MiniDLNA plugin.
Inside the "Media" dataset i have several folders... "Music", "Movies", "Pictures", "TV SHows"... These are the folders that i would like to be displayed on the video devices (without navigating to them manually).

If screenshots are needed what do they need to show?

Cheers,
Chris.

joeschmuck

Old Man
In my opinion these are selections coded into your viewing device not MiniDLNA. For instance, I open up Windows Media Player, go to my FreeNAS server and it shows me "Music", "Videos", "Pictures", "Recorded TV", and "Playlists".

If it is MiniDLNA then it's hard coded into the application. Have you looked into the minidlna.conf file to see if you can change it there? I don't recall it being an option. Good luck on this, looks like you have some research to do. I know I did a lot to get MiniDLNA working and creating well written guides over the past year or so.

My advice if you want to pursue this is to grab a copy of the MiniDLNA source code, read through it and find out if those values are specifically outputs of the application. If so you could change it, compile it, then install it. First things first, get the source code and read through it. If you think this is too much work then live with it.

-Old Man

paleoN

Wizard
If it is MiniDLNA then it's hard coded into the application. Have you looked into the minidlna.conf file to see if you can change it there?
I believe this is because it's specified as a root container in minidlna.conf. The display device may factor into it as well. You can specify Video container, Picture container, etc.

Chris230291

Patron
Ok, So the source code stuff sounds way too complicated for me. I'll take a look at the .conf thing though and have a play.

I'd bet money on it being MiniDLNA as even the blu ray player shows this structure. Every device i've tried does.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I believe this is because it's specified as a root container in minidlna.conf. The display device may factor into it as well. You can specify Video container, Picture container, etc.
The minidlna.conf file allows you the options to state what directory is associated with a media type, not the folder name. If I'm wrong, please show it to me as it would be new to me. You can change the default options by making entiries into the Auxillary Parameters section of the Plugin configuration. Here is the sample config file so you can look at it.
Code:
# port for HTTP (descriptions, SOAP, media transfer) traffic
port=8200

# network interfaces to serve, comma delimited
#network_interface=eth0

# set this to the directory you want scanned.
# * if have multiple directories, you can have multiple media_dir= lines
# * if you want to restrict a media_dir to a specific content type, you
#  can prepend the type, followed by a comma, to the directory:
#  + "A" for audio  (eg. media_dir=A,/home/jmaggard/Music)
#  + "V" for video  (eg. media_dir=V,/home/jmaggard/Videos)
#  + "P" for images (eg. media_dir=P,/home/jmaggard/Pictures)
media_dir=/opt

# set this if you want to customize the name that shows up on your clients
#friendly_name=My DLNA Server

# set this if you would like to specify the directory where you want MiniDLNA to store its database and album art cache
db_dir=/var/db/minidlna

# set this if you would like to specify the directory where you want MiniDLNA to store its log file
log_dir=/var/db/minidlna

# set this to change the verbosity of the information that is logged
# each section can use a different level: off, fatal, error, warn, info, or debug
#log_level=general,artwork,database,inotify,scanner,metadata,http,ssdp,tivo=warn

# this should be a list of file names to check for when searching for album art
# note: names should be delimited with a forward slash ("/")
album_art_names=Cover.jpg/cover.jpg/AlbumArtSmall.jpg/albumartsmall.jpg/AlbumArt.jpg/albumart.jpg/Album.jpg/album.jpg/Folder.jpg/folder.jpg/Thumb.jpg/thumb.jpg

# set this to no to disable inotify monitoring to automatically discover new files
# note: the default is yes
inotify=yes

# set this to yes to enable support for streaming .jpg and .mp3 files to a TiVo supporting HMO
enable_tivo=no

# set this to strictly adhere to DLNA standards.
# * This will allow server-side downscaling of very large JPEG images,
#  which may hurt JPEG serving performance on (at least) Sony DLNA products.
strict_dlna=no

# default presentation url is http address on port 80
#presentation_url=http://www.mylan/index.php

# notify interval in seconds. default is 895 seconds.
notify_interval=900

# serial and model number the daemon will report to clients
# in its XML description
serial=12345678
model_number=1

# specify the path to the MiniSSDPd socket
#minissdpdsocket=/var/run/minissdpd.sock

# use different container as root of the tree
# possible values:
#  + "." - use standard container (this is the default)
#  + "B" - "Browse Directory"
#  + "M" - "Music"
#  + "V" - "Video"
#  + "P" - "Pictures"
# if you specify "B" and client device is audio-only then "Music/Folders" will be used as root
#root_container=.

If you wanted to have the path /media/Movies show up under "Video", you would enter the following into your Aux Parameters:
Code:
media_dir=V,/media/Movies

That's about all I know you can do.

Chris230291

Patron
Cheers yet again fella.

Code:
root_container=B

This made MiniDLNA default to the "Browse Folders" directory which is exactly what i wanted!

One last question in regards to this... Can i hide folders/directories? I would like to hide "Network Trash Folder" and "Temporary Items". I assume these are invisible files created by OS X, unfortunately they are not hidden on other OS's.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Glad that works for you, I've never tried it. I can't answer your last question but good hunting.

hervon

Patron
Cheers yet again fella.

Code:
root_container=B

This made MiniDLNA default to the "Browse Folders" directory which is exactly what i wanted!

One last question in regards to this... Can i hide folders/directories? I would like to hide "Network Trash Folder" and "Temporary Items". I assume these are invisible files created by OS X, unfortunately they are not hidden on other OS's.

My Windows CIFS Share called Media has those auxiliary parameters to hide Apple system files:

veto files = /.cshrc/.login/.login_conf/.mail_aliases/.mailrc/.profile/.rhosts/.shrc/.windows/.freenas/Temporary Items/.DS_Store/.AppleDB/.TemporaryItems/.AppleDouble/.bin/.AppleDesktop/Network Trash Folder/.Spotlight/.Trashes/.fseventd/
delete veto files = yes
hide dot files = yes

Works perfectly. Hope that helps.

Chris230291

Patron
Hello. So i've had a play now but i can't get it to work.

Where am i supposed to add this? To the auxiliary parameters in MiniDLNA?

Thanks.

Chris230291

Patron
OK well i think i've done it right then.
How come it doesn't work for me?

This is what i have...

Code:
root_container=B

veto files = /.cshrc/.login/.login_conf/.mail_aliases/.mailrc/.profile/.rhosts/.shrc/.windows/.freenas/Temporary Items/.DS_Store/.AppleDB/.TemporaryItems/.AppleDouble/.bin/.AppleDesktop/Network Trash Folder/.Spotlight/.Trashes/.fseventd/

delete veto files = yes
hide dot files = yes

joeschmuck

Old Man
Hello. So i've had a play now but i can't get it to work.

Where am i supposed to add this? To the auxiliary parameters in MiniDLNA?

Thanks.
Are you saying it was working and now it's not? If so, why did it stop working, certainly not because of some additional parameters that you were not even using before. If this is true then you need to figure out what you did to cause it to stop working and it doesn't have to be related to MiniDLNA specifically, it could be your router blocking traffic, or something like that for example.

Chris230291

Patron
Sorry I don't think I explained it very well. The first part to make it default to the "browse" directory is working fine still. However, the new lines I added that are supposed to hide system generated files is not making a difference. I still see "temporary items" etc on the video player side.

Hope that makes sense?

Chris.

paleoN

Wizard
However, the new lines I added that are supposed to hide system generated files is not making a difference. I still see "temporary items" etc on the video player side.
Aren't those settings for Samba?

hervon

Patron
Aren't those settings for Samba?

Right on. That's what I specified in my previous post. With those parameters, I don't see apple hidden files in cifs (samba) shares. I don't see those hidden files either when I stream media with minidlna.

Chris230291

Patron
O right? Well i set up all of the shares in OS X, so i guess the hidden files (or whatever) are created then? I do have SAMBA shares but they are turned off pretty much all the time as i rarely need them.

If i see these folders etc in MiniDLNA, then surely i need to add something the the MiniDLNA Aux parameters?

Chris.

Status
Not open for further replies.