How can I update PHP5.5 to PHP7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

radeon

Cadet
Hi there!
I have a Nexcloud jail installed from plugin, I would like to upgrade the current PHP5.5 to PHP7, is that possible?

Thanks!

ovizii

Patron
You could enter the jail, remove php5 and install php7 but I'm sure that would mess with the plugin and not sure how this would work if you ever update the plugin but why don't you test it: make a snapshot of the plugin jail before messing around :smile:

radeon

Cadet
You could enter the jail, remove php5 and install php7 but I'm sure that would mess with the plugin and not sure how this would work if you ever update the plugin but why don't you test it: make a snapshot of the plugin jail before messing around :)
can you gimme, the how-to commands for php, please? :p

ovizii

Patron
search the forum for how to enter jails...
in general you're looking at:
jls - lists your jails
jexec JAIL_ID tcsh - enters a shell of that jail
pkg update - updates your package list
pkg upgrade - upgrades all packages with newer available versions

then, try pkg search php5 ? pkg remove php5 followed by pkg install php7 but you need to read up more on this as there might dependencies...

also try: man pkg to read more on how to use it :smile:

radeon

Cadet
search the forum for how to enter jails...
in general you're looking at:
jls - lists your jails
jexec JAIL_ID tcsh - enters a shell of that jail
pkg update - updates your package list
pkg upgrade - upgrades all packages with newer available versions

then, try pkg search php5 ? pkg remove php5 followed by pkg install php7 but you need to read up more on this as there might dependencies...

also try: man pkg to read more on how to use it :)
Thank you! :) I have ~300 GB used in the jail storage, should I do a normal snapshot or a cloned-snappy to prevent data loss?

Last edited:

ovizii

Patron
Huh? I thought we are talking about the nextcloud jail which was installed as a plugin how come your jail is 300GB?

###edit###
I see now, it sounds like you have not mapped your storage into the jail but instead chosen to store your data in the jail itself or you haven't fully grasped the concept of mapping storage into a jail.

I highly suggest you read up further on how to map storage into jails before proceeding, you might shoot yourself in the foot and lose your data and I don't want to be responsible. => http://doc.freenas.org/9.10/jails.html#add-storage

Normally you add storage to a jail and store data in there so if you mess up a jail, you delete it and install the plugin again which in your case sounds like you cannot do as you actually have the data inside the jail.

radeon

Cadet
Huh? I thought we are talking about the nextcloud jail which was installed as a plugin how come your jail is 300GB?

###edit###
I see now, it sounds like you have not mapped your storage into the jail but instead chosen to store your data in the jail itself or you haven't fully grasped the concept of mapping storage into a jail.

I highly suggest you read up further on how to map storage into jails before proceeding, you might shoot yourself in the foot and lose your data and I don't want to be responsible. => http://doc.freenas.org/9.10/jails.html#add-storage

Normally you add storage to a jail and store data in there so if you mess up a jail, you delete it and install the plugin again which in your case sounds like you cannot do as you actually have the data inside the jail.
Holy-moly I didn't know that :o Thank you very much for you help!
Do you accept Bitcoin donations? :)

ovizii

Patron
no need but thanks I appreciate the thought. I'm only a beginner too but have been particularly interested about these topics so I did some reading up.

Just don't blunder ahead, read up on what I wrote and feel free to ask more specific questions if thigns become clearer (or not).

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer

danb35

Hall of Famer
I have a same problem. I must update php 5.6 to version 7.2 for Joomla.
Then it isn't the same problem, not at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.