How can I mount and share a SATA optical drive in FreeNAS?

Hi,

I have a problem, I would like to share an optical SATA drive via FreeNAS. But I can not select it, it does not show up under "Show drives".

However, it is listed with the command "camcontrol devlist". But somehow it can not be mounted.

Does FreeNAS not support that?

If so, how?

Thank you in advance!:)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
FreeNAS doesn't support it per se, you can hack it into working. Sharing an optical drive is another hurdle, and a weird thing. Why would you want to do that?

FreeNAS doesn't support it per se, you can hack it into working. Sharing an optical drive is another hurdle, and a weird thing. Why would you want to do that?

Since I have no built-in drive in my notebook, I thought the NAS could take over.

But if that is not possible, I have to live with it.

Many thanks for your response!:)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
A USB optical drive would be much simpler and work better.

CapitalDrift

Cadet
Hey, how could you hack it to work?

I want to pass through an optical drive to a windows vm to rip some blurays to my nas, is that a waste of time ?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I want to pass through an optical drive to a windows vm to rip some blurays to my nas, is that a waste of time ?
That's a third, different thing. I'm not sure what you'd need, but the most reliable option would be to pass through a SATA controller and use that with the real drive.

That said, ripping requires a fleshy operator to replace disks. Wouldn't your workstation make more sense for such a scenario?

CapitalDrift

Cadet
That's a third, different thing. I'm not sure what you'd need, but the most reliable option would be to pass through a SATA controller and use that with the real drive.

That said, ripping requires a fleshy operator to replace disks. Wouldn't your workstation make more sense for such a scenario?

My main workstation is an Asus zenbook, I want to crush out my whole collection over the next month before I move and I won't be able to leave the laptop running. I was hoping to be able to setup the server to do all my ripping, downloading. I gave the vm 4 threads and 6 GB of ram so it shoudn't have too much issue with it I don't think