Automount CDROM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick Longo

Dabbler
My FreeNAS machine has a blue ray drive in it and with many laptops/tablets including Optical drives I want to leverage it. Mainly so I can rip the music/dvd/blue ray to my Plex server. I could purchase a USB housing and take it out of the NAS machine but it seems like I should be able to share it out via CIFS once mounted. Plus, for the few times I actually need it, even the $40 enclosure seems like just another device (fan, power draw) I don't need.

Conceptually how to approach it seemed easy. Minimally I could script it until I realized how FreeBSD or at least FreeNAS deals with optical drives as a /dev. I only see them showing up under ISO9660/UNIQUE_NAME_OF_DISC which causes a problem since how do you predict the name for the purpose of mounting. I originally thought from the post screens the dev was /dev/cd0 but that doesn't mount. This forum is what pointed out the ISO9660 folder.

So any suggestions? It also seems weird, I'm not an expert but quite familiar with linux and I've never seen another instance of the device carrying such a unique naming convention.

m0nkey_

MVP
What you're asking for is autofs, which is not included in the FreeNAS base.

Status
Not open for further replies.