SOLVED 9.3 Beta and Release Installation on Dell R730

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ling Ho

Dabbler
Hi,

I am trying to install 9.3 and Release iso on a Dell R730. There is no cdrom drive on this machine, so I have to either use the virtual CD/DVD via iDRAC, or dd the iso to a USB drive and boot from there.

Using both methods, and using multiple Beta iso I have downloaded from the last two days, and also the RELEASE iso just now, I ran into this problem:

"Trying to mount root from cd9660:/dev/iso9660/FreeNAS_INSTALL []...
mounroot: waiting for device /dev/iso9660/FreeNAS_INSTALL ...

It times out after awhile and give me the mountroot promt. But I can't type anything into it.

I guess the virtual CD comes up as a different device name. But when using USB drive, it stills try to mount cd. Is there a device name I could try to modify at the grub prompt, and anything else I should try?

Thanks,
ling

D

dlavigne

What device did you install into? What are the BIOS options for that device?

Ling Ho

Dabbler
I am trying to install on a pair of ssds. They set as non-raid drives. However IIgot this before I get to the install or upgrade menu. By looking at the grub config file, the mounting of cdrom is set in there. So I am not surprise d even when I try to boot using a usb drive I get the same error.

D

dlavigne

So it is the install media giving the error? What exact command did you use to burn the image onto the USB drive and what size is it?

Ling Ho

Dabbler
Sorry I am not near a computer so don't have the exact filename. The command I used is like this: "dd if=FreeNAS-RELEASE.iso of=/dev/sdc bs=128k"

It was on a linux machine. The size of the usb stick is 8gb.

Ling Ho

Dabbler
Yes, problem solved. The USB device was set to 3.0 in the BIOS. Once I changed it back to 2.0, it worked. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.