Hostname / Netbios name Point to Wrong Interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillyHow

Cadet
Workstations saw my FreeNAS box just fine until I added a faster Ethernet card.

Now they do see the box but only when I hard-code the new address; it would work so much better if the NetBios Name was associated with the new card instead of the original internal interface.
Since the Global settings & CIFS setup doesn't allow selecting an interface, I seem to be stuck.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

snickasaurus

Dabbler
1) What version of FreeNAS are you running?

2) Have you written down your settings from the initial interface setting then transferred them exactly how they were to the new network adapter?

3) Can you post some screen shots of what's under your |Network|Global Configurations| and |Network|Interfaces| tabs or type out all options so it's easier to see how yours is setup. Remove, blur or fake any IP Addresses before posing.

BillyHow

Cadet
Config Information

Thanks for thinking about this.

1. I'm using version FreeNAS-8.0.2-RELEASE-amd64 (8288)
2. No, but you can see what I did in the screen clips
3. I've put a bunch of screen clips together here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14054612/FreeNasConfig120225.gif
The address are all local so they're not a security risk.

Maybe I should connect a console screen and reassign the interfaces addresses using it?

dscott

Dabbler
I'm experiencing exactly the same problem with my HP N36L Microserver running FreeNAS-8.2.0-RELEASE-p1-x64 (r11950).

I have a separate Intel PRO/1000 CT NIC bound to 192.168.1.20/24.
The on-board NIC is bound to 192.168.1.21/24.
The CIFS service NetBIOS name is set to "nas1".
The web GUI is accessible using http://192.168.1.20.

Prior to adding the separate NIC I could access CIFS shares using \\nas1. Now I can only access them using \\192.168.1.20.

Doing a NBTStat -c on the Windows box I'm trying to access this from I see that the NAS1 NetBIOS name resolves to 192.168.1.21 i.e. the on-board NIC not the separate NIC.

How can we get NetBIOS names working correctly and reliably when multiple interfaces are configured and enabled?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.