Multiple NETBIOS Names with Multiple NICS

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstang1988

Contributor
I have a few 10Gb NIC's and want to use them to directly connect my W7 PC to Freenas so when I'm doing backups etc I'm not network limited but instead disk bound. I'm writing from an SSD to 6 spindles at 7200RPM and on large files that is far greater than 125MB/s.

Well, I don't have a 10Gb switch and I don't want the hair dryer noise of one. What I do want to do is connect my windows 7 machine to a 1Gb switch and direct connect to freenas. My freenas box will be on both networks as well for web access and servicing clients on the switch. The 10Gb is of course for faster connections to the W7 host.

Here in lies the problem, netbios would seemingly show the hostname on both interfaces. That seems bad and can cause windows sickness.

From freenas can I configure a netbios name/IP interface? I realize they need to be on separate networks and I need to add default routes etc.

Is there a better way to do what I want AND keep a hostname browseable network (the wife doesn't do networking/IP's).

master-richie

Dabbler
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...s-multi-jails-freenas-routing-question.39047/

my ultimate solution to my FreeNAS multi-home, multi-nic problem and it's not a FreeNAS solution ... in your scenario however you may be able to keep FreeNAS by creating a cpl jails, manually install Samba in each jail, setup a nullfs across for your jails storage to pool from and go from there BUT you won't get different routing tables.

Status
Not open for further replies.