Changing hostname doesn't quite change server, netbios name, etc. how to do and perm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark

Cadet
Howdy,

Obviously I'm new and have a hopefully quickly answered question. Couldn't find an answer by searching.

Via the GUI under global configuration, I changed the hostname to what I want it to be. Seems to work ok. However, I expected that same name to be the afpd.conf server name as well as the smbd.conf netbios name, etc.

If I edit any of the following files to update server/hostname, they get over written on reboot:
/etc/hosts
/usr/local/etc/afpd.conf
/usr/local/etc/smbd.conf

So, I seem to be missing the documentation, procedure, whatever for really changing server names and changes that survive reboots.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Mark

Durkatlon

Patron
Yeah, those files are regenerated at each boot. But the name entered under Network>Global Configuration is the one they use. If you changed the name, then rebooted the machine, everything should have been switched over to the new name.

Mark

Cadet
Not happening via the GUI then. Just tested a few times for different names, but no pickup for afpd.conf, etc. From a shell via ssh, I do see the output from `hostname` get updated, but a reboot offers no updates on names for the sharing services.

Currently running: FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE-p1 (FREENAS.amd64) #4: Sat Apr 30 10:39:46 PDT 2011

Durkatlon

Patron
Apologies. Upon looking again, the hostname reported by Samba, is configured as the "NetBIOS Name" from the CIFS configuration window. The AFP service configuration similarly has it's own "Server Name" field.

Mark

Cadet
Thank you very much! Now that you mention the separate server configs, it makes all the sense. Just needed that nudge.

Much appreciated.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.