Suddenly can't access server by name

I've been, for years, depending on accessing the server by name without creating a local DNS name for it (I don't have any local DNS set up). I do this both for ordinary web (control gui) and ssh access, and for SMB share access from Windows and Linux boxes. This happens by some modern magic I don't recall the name of :smile: . [ETA: mDNS is I believe the piece of modern magic involved]

Suddenly, maybe with the u5 upgrade, that ability seems to have gone away. I can still get to ssh and the web gui by using the static ip address, it's just considerably less convenient.

I did also notice, after the upgrade, that on the first reboot the SMB service didn't come up on boot. I started it manually, and it has stayed up. Don't see any obvious log entries complaining about SMB things.

Poking around, I've found that the system now thinks it is "freenas" rather than its previous name (which was "fsfs"). I can access it by the name "freenas". So the problem isn't actually that the capability has gone away, but rather than the name has changed.

In services / SMB, "netbios name" is still set to "fsfs". But the system hostname says "freenas".

network / Global Configuration / hostname is still set to "fsfs".

In /etc/rc.conf however, hostname is set to "freenas". Don't know how it got there; I haven't been messing around. The update is the only thing I can think of at about the right time.

Any ideas? And, will just changing /etc/rc.conf fix things and *stay* fixed, do we think?

Is this a general problem, or just something that happened to me? If it's a general problem that might be a big deal (for people who don't use local DNS of their own).

Last edited:
Changing /etc/rc.conf did not work; on reboot the system is named 'freenas' and /etc/rc.conf has been rewritten back to saying that. (not totally surprising). So...where in the GUI is this coming from? Because as I said above, network / global configuration / hostname is set to 'fsfs'.

It seems to be some kind of change to the handling of the domain field in network / global configuration. And I haven't found a way around it yet.

All along, I've had hostname "fsfs" and domain "bpoly.local" set. All my local systems have bpoly.local as the default domain, so as a result on any local system I can address the FreeNAS box just as 'fsfs' and it'll reach it.

This has changed. Now, when I put that in, while it shows the right domain name 'fsfs.bpoly.local' at the top of the left GUI column, I can't access the server (via mount, ssh, or ping) as just 'fsfs'. I also can't access it as 'fsfs.bpoly.local'.

I *can* ping it as 'fsfs.local' (which is NOT the domain configured in the GUI. I can SSH to it.

But I can't successfully mount shares as fsfs.local, so even if I were willing to change everything that touches a share and my network default domain everywhere -- I still can't access the shares (remotely; smb shares). So this is very serous for me!

Haven't tried to drop back to the previous release yet.

From a Windows box, I can ping it as 'fsfs' or 'fsfs.local", but I can't mount an SMB share from it.

Code:
C:\Windows\System32>net use f: \\fsfs\fanpa /user:ddb
System error 67 has occurred.

The network name cannot be found.

C:\Windows\System32>ping fsfs

Pinging fsfs.local [192.168.1.205] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.205: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.205:
    Packets: Sent = 3, Received = 3, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

At this moment the server is configured as hostname 'fsfs' domain 'bpoly.local'

Attachments

• Clipboard01.png
    Clipboard01.png
    198.7 KB · Views: 287

knightwolf

Cadet
I too am having the same issue. I upgraded from freenas to truenas and now to \\nas can no longer be found on the network. I can still access it via the ip address but nothing else changed on the network at all.

help is greatly appreciated