Troubleshooting guide: Matchname host name/name mismatch (null)

Tsaukpaetra

Patron
So occasionally (seems about once a year if the forums are to be believed) someone encounters the dreaded error message
Code:
matchname: host name/name mismatch: [Blah IP Address] != (NULL)

This is typically "resolved" by disabling Hostname lookups in the SMB service. Which, yes, it does work, if the underlying problem was that the user wasn't running DNS on the local network in the first place (perhaps I should put in a feature request to have a test for this before allowing it to be enabled?).

However, I am running DNS in my local domain, and it should be working (insomuch as the other computers in the network are using DNS just fine).

So here I am to ask: What are the troubleshooting steps that need to be taken to get it working (again)? Clearly it was fine before reboot/update/whatever. So what must be done to repair the breakage?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
So occasionally (seems about once a year if the forums are to be believed) someone encounters the dreaded error message
Code:
matchname: host name/name mismatch: [Blah IP Address] != (NULL)

This is typically "resolved" by disabling Hostname lookups in the SMB service. Which, yes, it does work, if the underlying problem was that the user wasn't running DNS on the local network in the first place (perhaps I should put in a feature request to have a test for this before allowing it to be enabled?).

However, I am running DNS in my local domain, and it should be working (insomuch as the other computers in the network are using DNS just fine).

So here I am to ask: What are the troubleshooting steps that need to be taken to get it working (again)? Clearly it was fine before reboot/update/whatever. So what must be done to repair the breakage?

You just need to make sure that your DNS reverse lookup zone is properly configured / populated. Most people only set up a forward lookup zone and call it good.

Tsaukpaetra

Patron
You just need to make sure that your DNS reverse lookup zone is properly configured / populated.

That's my problem, I guess. I haven't changed anything WRT that, yet one update later, it's suddenly broken?

And as far as I know, it's set up properly (doing a basic test like this):

1546312683088.png