HOST A VPN

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Yes. Both OpenVPN and WireGuard can be installed in jails or VMs.

In TrueNAS Core 12, currently in beta state, OpenVPN is builtin and configurable in the UI. I would probably stick to a jail based installation, anyway. Privilege separation and stuff.

Abrahamus

Cadet
Try to use another VPN that could keep your anonymity and ensure a secure connection. I believe that it is necessary to maintain privacy on the Internet at a time to protect against hackers and malicious viruses. At the moment, I bought myself a budget VPN that meets these conditions. If you wish, you can follow my example and buy VPN for yourself. Recently, I have not had any problems with its use, everything is simple and most importantly safe.

[mod note: edited for advertising, do not advertise services here, especially VPN services, you are just trading the devil you know (your ISP) for the devil you don't (fly-by-nite VPN company). -jg]

Last edited by a moderator:

MiltonRose

Cadet
Personally, I use OpenVPN for this kind of connection creation like chrome free vpn. In addition, this is already a fairly well-oiled process at the hardware level.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
I would like to re-iterate the mod note. It is a complete misconception that VPNs that offer public services give you privacy or security. They just re-route your traffic and by that move the problems. To circumvent geo blocking is the only reasonable use-case I can currently think of.

CEH1934

Dabbler
I am very inexperienced with networking, beyond very basics. My home TrueNAS server (12.0-U3) is on the same subnet as our home computers; it is connected to the same router. I want to set up a VPN server, using the TrueNAS feature, for remote access. I don't want a separate VPN server to cover all of our devices because I use NordVPN's WireGuard option on my PC, iPad etc., but I need to be able to turn VPN off for some sites that won't let me access them otherwise.

If I do set up VPN server on our TrueNAS, will we be able to access it from the home LAN as is, or will I need to change the LAN network in some way? The router is actually connected to the main home router as a repeater, so our IP addresses are assigned by that main router - 192.168.X.A for the NAS, 192.168.X.B for my PC, etc.

I hope someone can help me.

CEH1934

Dabbler
Oops! Out of date info. The LAN router is not set up in repeater mode, and it assigns it's own IP and those of the LAN devices. Its IP is 192.168.X.Y.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
@CEH1934 , setting up a VPN is a delicate thing, to say the least. And hosting the VPN on TrueNAS is downright dangerous, if you don't know exactly what you are doing. No offense meant, but with what you write, I would actually recommend to not pursue this idea any further. Also, this is not something that IMHO can be done via a forum in a reasonable way. You need someone on-site to check the local network details and then do the configuration.

CEH1934

Dabbler
Thanks, ChrisRJ. Would you feel the same way about a VPN server on the router which fronts my NAS, desktop and other devices? I know I would need expert advice to configure the setup.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
The router is a much better place. May I ask what your use-case is, for using NordVPN as well as running your own VPN server?

CEH1934

Dabbler
Re NordVPN as a client, for several years I have used their client service on my desktop (privacy) and mobile devices (to protect when on third-party wi-fi), and I have found their service very good. For running a VPN server, that is to enable secure access to my systems when I am away from home. Also, I have two family households (remote) to whom I want to give access to certain data.

My Asus RT-68U router has VPN server and client function and can use the Merlin firmware which I've read is more sophisticated.