Connect to VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan

Dabbler
Hi there. I'm quite new to FreeNAS. So I apologize first for any of my lame question. I have some query related VPN and sharing.
  1. How to connect FreeNAS with VPN???? I didn't find any documentation/help/tutorial. It would be nice if you could provide me.
  2. If I connect to my FreeNAS server at a remote location using VPN, then could I be able to access the CIFS share via VPN without opening/forwarding any CIFS port?
Thanks,

snaptec

Guru
In Front of the freenas should be a router. There you atr configuring a vpn. If it can't, have a look at pfsense.
2. the Firewall Must be configured to allow cifs through vpn.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
How to connect FreeNAS with VPN???? I didn't find any documentation/help/tutorial. It would be nice if you could provide me.
As mentioned, you can use PFSense or a multitude of other VPN solutions. I prefer to have my VPN on a separate and dedicated piece of hardware; like my router. Others have it running in a VM on FreeNas which works fine; however if FreeNas needs to be rebooted for any reason then the VPN connection is also dropped. While this may not be too bad for most, I would rather one not effect the other.

Check your router and it may even be able to use Open-WRT, DD-WRT or natively support VPN. I would just suggest that you avoid PPTP since it is flaky and not that secure.

2. the Firewall Must be configured to allow cifs through vpn.
Sorry, but this is not needed. If you have a properly configured VPN then once a client successfully connects they should be able to access the internal network as if they were locally connected.

Last edited:

Adnan

Dabbler
Thank you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.