Register for the iXsystems Community to get an ad-free experience and exclusive discounts in our eBay Store.

HOST A VPN

Patrick M. Hausen

Dedicated Sage
Yes. Both OpenVPN and WireGuard can be installed in jails or VMs.

In TrueNAS Core 12, currently in beta state, OpenVPN is builtin and configurable in the UI. I would probably stick to a jail based installation, anyway. Privilege separation and stuff.

Abrahamus

Try to use another VPN that could keep your anonymity and ensure a secure connection. I believe that it is necessary to maintain privacy on the Internet at a time to protect against hackers and malicious viruses. At the moment, I bought myself a budget VPN that meets these conditions. If you wish, you can follow my example and buy VPN for yourself. Recently, I have not had any problems with its use, everything is simple and most importantly safe.

[mod note: edited for advertising, do not advertise services here, especially VPN services, you are just trading the devil you know (your ISP) for the devil you don't (fly-by-nite VPN company). -jg]

Last edited by a moderator:

MiltonRose

Personally, I use OpenVPN for this kind of connection creation like chrome free vpn. In addition, this is already a fairly well-oiled process at the hardware level.

ChrisRJ

I would like to re-iterate the mod note. It is a complete misconception that VPNs that offer public services give you privacy or security. They just re-route your traffic and by that move the problems. To circumvent geo blocking is the only reasonable use-case I can currently think of.