Home Server Questions - lots of questions....

Status
Not open for further replies.

LIGISTX

Guru
If I understand this correctly, you have a Raid6 Volume with two drives gone... If that is the case, I would say your main focus is to get that corrected. Loss of one more drive would result in loss of Volume even in a Raid6 (not talking RaidZ2 here). Delaying too long may end up with not having any data to worry about migrating... :eek:

I know. I do understand how all of this works, unfortunately :/.

Once again tho, I did think it was called out as Z2 when I set up the array years ago, but I may have allowed it to get mixed up in my head with "software raid 6". Either way, I fully understand the redundancy factor, and my advice was to take the NAS offline until I could get over there next weekend and swap out for new drives, unfortunately that wasn't agreed upon, so, like may favorite corporate lingo saying goes, "we're going as risk".

One of the drives was wiped and the degraded array is being rebuilt. Once the first drive is rebuilt the second will follow. Thankfully, like I previously said, the world won't end if the data is lost, which at this point I wouldn't be surprised at all if that where to happen. I don't agree with this path forward, but...... Worst case, it will make the migration a moot point to the new freenas box.

And yes, I also fully know rebuilding an array to a disc that dropped out probably due to having to many relocated sectors, that's also bad news bears.

To that point, please don't take this seemingly apparent hilarious lack of understanding/proper methodology as a sign of incompetence and give up helping me. I personally know what the correct way to handle this is, but it's somewhat out of my control. If the data is lost, gonna be a fun little I told ya so. But assume it's not, the new freenas box will be MUCH easier to maintain since it won't be a total pain to swap drives, and scrips will be used and emails will be set up to make sure this issue doesn't happen again. Also, the fact I should be able to remote connect to the server etc should make my job much easier.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll keep y'all updated with the outcome.

Sent from my jailbroke iPhone using Tapatalk

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about

LIGISTX

Guru
Understood.

Also, you won't have to worry about the Server actually being considered a Fire Hazard... ;)

Thanks for understanding. And. That's true lol.

LIGISTX

Guru
Ok, well, thankfully after a bit of a struggle it looks as though the first drive did rebuild, and the second one is almost finished. I can only assume those drives are no Bueno. And I do plan to replace them, but at least for now, we should be ok.

Also, after some more discussion we now will assume we have 10 working 3TB drives. I can't confirm that until I get them into freenas and test them thoroughly, but to make this work correctly, I will plan out the future state of the pool, and buy whatever 4TB drives it will require now. This way I can set up a validated working vdev, transfer the data to the new server (this single 4x_ vdev should hold *most* of the data, the rest I can store somewhere else).

At this point I will break the old software RAID 6, pop all of the 3TB's into the server and figure out how many good and bad drives we have. Once that is figured out, I will be able to either replace or RMA the bad drives, and set up the final 2 vdevs made up of the 3TB drives we have+RMAed units etc.

Tonight after work I will work up yet another future state plan that best utilizes what we think we have as far as 3TB's go, how many bays we want to use etc.

I CANT WAIT till I set up my own server. Be so much easier starting from 100% scratch, budgeted as such.

LIGISTX

Guru
Also, are greens still the drive of choice? Any reason to go blue over green? I have heard some mixed things about WD rebranding as blue only, I am just not sure what's what.

danb35

Hall of Famer
No, in the WD line, reds are the drives of choice. WD, as I understand it, has pretty much phased out the Green line in favor of Blue.

LIGISTX

Guru
No, in the WD line, reds are the drives of choice. WD, as I understand it, has pretty much phased out the Green line in favor of Blue.

Sorry, I guess I should have said if I can get a green drive and use the WDIDLE thing to adjust its operation, would that be a solid option? I know reds are favored, but I also know lots of people have gone the green route.

Are blues not a good idea? If blues are just rebranded greens, can they not be modified with WDIDLE? In either case, able to be moded or not, are they a viable option?

And then after getting answers to those questions, what are other well regarded drive options?

LIGISTX

Guru

Stux

MVP
I went with Seagate (yeah I know), 4TB NAS HDD, was cheaper and had a 5 year warranty.

On the theory they have to be better now... Don't they.

gpsguy

What OS are you currently running? Are there any options for looking at the SMART data before you migrate to FreeNAS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LIGISTX

Guru
What OS are you currently running? Are there any options for looking at the SMART data before you migrate to FreeNAS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Open media vault. There may be, but in the webui is doesn't give much at all. Just enough info to know something is wrong...

I can try to get more info, but I am not sure what's possible at this time.

LIGISTX

Guru
I went with Seagate (yeah I know), 4TB NAS HDD, was cheaper and had a 5 year warranty.

Are they? Haha

Looks like they are the same price as reds. No idea which is a better option.

Would still like to go the green or blue route, if it's plausible.

Mirfster

I'm a HGST fan personally, however I purchase all my drive slightly used from eBay. All are "Enterprise" grade ones running 7200 RPMs so uses more electricity and a little more heat... Been pretty lucky over the years and have had little to no issues. Of course that route is not for everyone.

LIGISTX

Guru
I'm a HGST fan personally, however I purchase all my drive slightly used from eBay. All are "Enterprise" grade ones running 7200 RPMs so uses more electricity and a little more heat... Been pretty lucky over the years and have had little to no issues. Of course that route is not for everyone.

O man. Buying used hard drives, that's a crazy idea.

Mirfster

Nah, not at all. Just be sure to burn them in correctly and make sure the Seller has a decent warranty and are reputable. If any are seen to have issues during the burn in process have them replaced.

Off the top of my head, I have like 26 x HGST 2TB UltraStars and 13 x 4TB HGST SAS Drives. SAS Drives are a pretty recent purchase and when I checked the warranty they all are warrantied from HGST until 2019.

Even have several Intel DC S3500 and S3710 that I am starting to use for SLOG.

Think over the years I have only had like 1 drive fail. But not everyone's cup of tea. :)

Come to think of it, nothing I have is really purchased new except maybe my headphones, KBs or Mice.... /Don't want anyone's cooties... ;)

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer

I don't see anything wrong. Apart from the ST3000DM001 all the others drives are great I have 4 of them + 4 WD Red ones and no problem ;)

I prefer the WD but just by a bit, mostly for noise reasons, the WD are a bit quieter on seeks.

LIGISTX

Guru
I don't see anything wrong. Apart from the ST3000DM001 all the others drives are great I have 4 of them + 4 WD Red ones and no problem ;)

I prefer the WD but just by a bit, mostly for noise reasons, the WD are a bit quieter on seeks.

By WD you mean your red's I assume? Still no answer on the viability of blues.

LIGISTX

Guru
Nah, not at all. Just be sure to burn them in correctly and make sure the Seller has a decent warranty and are reputable. If any are seen to have issues during the burn in process have them replaced.

Off the top of my head, I have like 26 x HGST 2TB UltraStars and 13 x 4TB HGST SAS Drives. SAS Drives are a pretty recent purchase and when I checked the warranty they all are warrantied from HGST until 2019.

Even have several Intel DC S3500 and S3710 that I am starting to use for SLOG.

Think over the years I have only had like 1 drive fail. But not everyone's cup of tea. :)

Come to think of it, nothing I have is really purchased new except maybe my headphones, KBs or Mice.... /Don't want anyone's cooties... ;)

Who do you buy from..? I guess a *slightly* used enterprise grade drive is actually more reliable than a new consumer grade drive.

Hmm.

joeschmuck

Old Man
At this point I will break the old software RAID 6, pop all of the 3TB's into the server and figure out how many good and bad drives we have.
You do not need to take apart your system to run SMART testing on the drives. Now if you have decided to run destructive testing, well that is another story.

LIGISTX

Guru
You do not need to take apart your system to run SMART testing on the drives. Now if you have decided to run destructive testing, well that is another story.

The reason I say this, I think I will have better luck and community support in the freenas environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.