BUILD Home NAS based on AsRock E3C224D2I

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeRider

Cadet
Hi,

I am planning to build a small home NAS for the following applications:
  • Backups (1 Workstation, 1 Laptop, 1 MacBook)
  • Media storage
  • Usenet downloads
  • OwnCloud (2 users, maybe up to 6)
  • Hardware encryption
My current hardware selection is as follows:

Intel Core i3-4160
AsRock E3C224D2I
Seasonic G-450
APC Back-UP 800VA, USB
2x Crucial 8GB ECC (CT102472BD160B)
6x WD Red 4TB (RaidZ2)
Fractal Design Node 304
2x 16GB SanDisk Fit USB

I am still contemplating wether to choose the Supermicro X10SLL-F or AsRock E3C224D2I. My current favourite is the latter, as I can pack everything into a Node 304. Any µATX case option besides super expensive LianLi cases uses a lot mor space (i.e. Fractal Design Mini, Lian Li A04). Are there any known hickups with the AsRock board ?

About the RAM: Technically it is not listed on the QVL for the C224, but it is on the list for the C226 and this combination has been mentioned here to work. The only 8GB modules listed by AsRock (http://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=E3C224D2I#Memory) are made by Kingston and after reading the hardware stickies, I don't really feel confident buying them. Or is this not a concern anymore?

About media streaming: I currently use XBMC on my Amazon FireTV, so technically the NAS does not have to transcode anything. However, i might switch to plex but with only one stream at a time. Should I consider other CPU options? Does the atom platform support AES ?

Number of Hardrives: I was tempted to go with more drives (7-8) as the efficiency increases. However, I came across some optimal numbers for RaidZ2 regarding the data splitting and sector sizes.https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...-of-drives-are-allowed-in-a-raidz-config.158/
Is this significant ?

If anyone is interested I did some cost calculations for the components listed above (current prices in Germany):

*:X10Sl-7F

I know that this is a standard, run-of-the-mill build, but I have been mulling over this for quite some time and need an outside opinion for a final decision. Any input is highly appreciated.

Thank You,
Mike

Attachments

• table.png
    table.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 220

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The biggest limitation with the ASRock board is the 16GB RAM limit. The C226 verison of the board has a larger QVL, which includes the Crucial DIMMs you mentioned. I'd say they're fine.

As for the pool layout... That was the subject of quite a discussion some time ago. Sticking with 4/6/10 drives for RAIDZ2 can't hurt. Other numbers of drives are said not to be a problem, when using compression.

pschatz100

Guru
The performance of the Core i3-4160 cpu will be fine. I run an older Core i3 and have no trouble with one or two transcoded streams from Plex.

Bags

Cadet
How did you go with this build? Looking at putting together something very similar

csschwe

Cadet
I just built the following which is very close to what the original poster built. It is running as a Plex and TimeMachine server without any issues.

Idles under 45 Watts

Intel Core i3-4130T Haswell Dual-Core 2.9GHz LGA 1
ASRock E3C226D2I Mini ITX Server Motherboard LGA 1
CHENBRO SR30169T2-250 0.8mm SGCC, Hi-PS Pedestal C
SeaSonic SSR-360GP 360W ATX12V v2.31 80 PLUS GOLD
2 x Kingston 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR
4 x WD Red WD40EFRX 4TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6
2 x SanDisk Ultra Fit 16GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Model S
CyberPower CP1000PFCLCD PFC Sinewave UPS 1000VA 600W PFC Compatible Mini-Tower

MikeRider

Cadet
How did you go with this build? Looking at putting together something very similar
I put this project on hold for a while due to spiking hardware prices in the EU (bad €/$) and an additional family member ;)
I check prices and alternatives once in a while and would still build it as mentioned above.

Status
Not open for further replies.