Home directory configuration question

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoName

Cadet
I apologize a head of time if this post is longer than it needs to be...

My configuration has two sets of home directories. I have one dataset that is shared via NFS and the primary purpose is to provide home directories for a cluster. Everything works fine with that share. The second dataset is shared via SMB and its purpose is to provide home directories for the Windows and Mac OS X clients. Everything works fine with that share.

The user accounts (other than the default set of accounts created by FreeNAS) are stored in an LDAP server. The LDAP server also provides the autofs maps for the NFS home directories.

The problem is on the FreeNAS server. When a user attempts to login into the FreeNAS server (the purpose for allowing users to login is to provide a git repository for each user via git-shell), the home directory is the SMB share. While this is not a problem, it does prevent ssh from working (sshd does not see the appropriate privileges). I have attempted to set the permissions for the files on a Windows client, but unix permissions on the FreeNAS server are unaffected. Furthermore, git is not very happy running on dataset that is used as a SMB share because of how permissions work.

There does not seem to be an option to tell FreeNAS which home directory to use. It appears that if the SMB share is marked as the "home share" it becomes the de facto home directory on the server. The LDAP entry for a user specifies the home directory as "/home/userid" and the "/home" directory on the FreeNAS server is symlinked to the SMB home share dataset.

It is not clear to me what is the appropriate solution. Changing the "/home" symlink while easy does not seem like the appropriate solution. It appears that FreeNAS has support for autofs (though it is not available via the GUI) and I could use that, but I'm worried that will conflict with FreeNAS' preference to use the SMB home share.

I have searched the forums for a solution and tried searching the web without much luck. I'm surprised that I could not find a solution because this seems pretty basic--I'm guessing that I do not have the right keywords.

D

dlavigne

Which build version of FreeNAS (from System -> Information)?

D

dlavigne

Have you found a solution yet? If not, it may be worth creating an issue at bugs.freenas.org to see if it is a bug. If you do, post the issue number here.

Status
Not open for further replies.