cannot modify home directory permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewjs18

Contributor
hi folks,

I set up a new user last night aptly named andrew, and when I went to change the chmod for the home directory, it will not apply them correctly in the gui.

this is where the directory is located: /mnt/backup_z3/home/andrew

the current permissions, per the gui, are set at 755. I want to set them at 700. Each time I try to set those permissions, save the page and then go back into the user account to confirm, they do not ever apply. I also tried to edit 1 permission box at a time with no luck.

also, when I try to ssh to the server (I haven't fully configured ssh yet), this is the error I'm getting:

Code:
Welcome to FreeNAS
Could not chdir to home directory /mnt/backup_z3/home/andrew: No such file or directory
[andrew@freenas /]$

thanks for any help!

andrewjs18

Contributor
Does the directory exist? If not, it'll be hard to change its permissions.

good question. it might not. I'll check on that tonight when I get home from work.

I had thought that adding a new user in the gui would automatically create the home directory if you specified where you wanted it to be...sort of like the adduser command does in other *nix distributions.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Andrew, Freenas has a really nice manual and permissions are addressed in detail there.
You will have better luck setting up access for your users if you use the GUI instead of the
Shell and CLI.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Andrew, Freenas has a really nice manual and permissions are addressed in detail there.
You will have better luck setting up access for your users if you use the GUI instead of the
Shell and CLI.

I wouldn't say "in detail", but it's enough to get started.

andrewjs18

Contributor
Hi all,

is there a location within the GUI where I can configure the default user location for newly created user accounts?

Thanks!

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
When you create the account you specify the path

andrewjs18

Contributor
When you create the account you specify the path

right, I tried that, but it was giving me errors that the directory did not exist. how do I create that directory prior to adding the user? I would of thought the gui would of automatically created the directory I specified.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You specify a directory and under that directory it creates a folder for each user. The directory in the box you select must exist that is why there is a file browser next to the field.

andrewjs18

Contributor
You specify a directory and under that directory it creates a folder for each user. The directory in the box you select must exist that is why there is a file browser next to the field.

I'll need to check this out tonight when I get back home.

if the directory does not exist, how do I get freenas to create it?

rogerh

Guru
If you want " /mnt/backup_z3/home/ " to be a dataset (which has no obvious disadvantages that I can see, and some advantages) then you can create it through the GUI. If you want an ordinary folder I think, BICBW, you need to use mkdir on the command line.

andrewjs18

Contributor
If you want "home" to be a dataset (which has no obvious disadvantages that I can see, and some advantages) then you can create it through the GUI. If you want an ordinary folder I think, BICBW, you need to use mkdir on the command line.

my goal was to put all of the users I created in the following directory: /mnt/backup_z3/home/

rogerh

Guru
my goal was to put all of the users I created in the following directory: /mnt/backup_z3/home/
Well, does /mnt/backup_z3/home/ exist? If it does it should work as you expect if you select /mnt/backup_z3/home/ in the browse box in the user creation dialogue. It should make the "andrew" folder. If "home" doesn't exist just go to the storage tab in the GUI and make a new dataset called "home" under the backup_z3 (which is I presume your pool name).

andrewjs18

Contributor
Well, does /mnt/backup_z3/home/ exist? If it does it should work as you expect if you select /mnt/backup_z3/home/ in the browse box in the user creation dialogue. It should make the "andrew" folder. If "home" doesn't exist just go to the storage tab in the GUI and make a new dataset called "home" under the backup_z3 (which is I presume your pool name).

thanks for your help. I'll check on this after work tonight and report back.

rogerh

Guru
Making new datasets through the GUI is not entirely obvious (unless you read the manual). You have to click on backup_z3 to select it and buttons to, inter alia, create datasets under backup_z3 magically appear. I look for them every time until I work this out!

andrewjs18

Contributor
Making new datasets through the GUI is not entirely obvious (unless you read the manual). You have to click on backup_z3 to select it and buttons to, inter alia, create datasets under backup_z3 magically appear. I look for them every time until I work this out!

that was my issue, the /home directory did not exist. once I created it, adding the user was a breeze.

thanks again!

rogerh

Guru
Glad it all worked out!

Status
Not open for further replies.