Home Build - 2nd Hand parts 12 Disk, Best practice

Status
Not open for further replies.

AUS_Mike

Cadet
Hey everyone,
I've used a bit of freenas before, though now I am looking at setting up a dedicated solution for home,

Can anyone tell me if I am missing anything, everything listed is either in my hands or in the mail. Happy to purchase more equipment if required.

Parts Purchased
Dell R510 II
1 x L5640 (6 core 60w TDP)
1 x H200 (will flash to IT-Mode)
7 x WD RE 3TB
7 x Toshiba 3TB (4 are in used in my current Terastation)
32GB Ram
x520-DA1 (DAC to 5548P Power connect) Storage traffic
1GbE Management network

So some details;
Server will only run FreeNAS, I have another server running all my App's.
Plex server has a 48GB tmpfs to try and limit I/O (main server has 256GB Ram) will this still be needed,
Data is not critical (Use crashplan to backup a 1TB Dataset, though if there is a way I can increase its reliability with freeNAS ears are open)
How well does crashplan work with freenas, I tried in an earlier release and had only problems
Data is mainly read.
Torrents / NZB's / unrar / 3-5 Plex streams will consume the most I/O
Few VM's using the freenas but not as OS drives (7 x 900GB 10k, with a 240GB SSD Cache manages the primary OS)
Since its new, V11 my best option (I prefer not to upgrade a system once data is live unless I have a really good reason)

Share types used
CIFS : 50%
NFS : 20%
iSCSI : 30%

My Plan
vDEV1 6 x WD Raidz2 (512e so 4k setup) (1 spare disk in case)
vDEV2 6 x Toshiba Raidz2 (4k setup) (1 Spare disk in case)
vPOOL across both vDEVS

My questions outside of any critique
- Storage vDEVs is this an ideal setup ? looking at creating the first, migrating, then bringing the Toshibas across to create the second
- 32GB Ram, can upgrade to 64GB using 16GB Dimms from my server, but for use case is it worth it?
- I have a UPS, should I enable synchronis writes ?
- Jumbo Frames (do these exist, I will google after, is this an ideal setup?)
- Do I need SSD's for L2ARC or for ZIL, from reading other threads my workload won't really see any benefit, though if it will happy to grab a pair

danb35

Hall of Famer
How well does crashplan work with freenas
My experience with the CrashPlan plugin wasn't very good. I switched to installing it on a Ubuntu VM, and mounting the datasets to that VM as NFS exports, and this has worked much better.
1 x L5640 (6 core 60w TDP)
The low-power CPUs are rarely a good idea, but if you already have it, you might as well keep it. If it isn't enough power, you can always upgrade later.
Storage vDEVs is this an ideal setup ? looking at creating the first, migrating, then bringing the Toshibas across to create the second
Storage configuration looks fine, and your plan should work fine as well.
Jumbo Frames (do these exist, I will google after, is this an ideal setup?)
They do exist, but my understanding is that they don't really provide much benefit, especially if you're running 10G.

Status
Not open for further replies.