Home Assistant VM: Installation Media not Accepted

BurneyFM

Cadet
Hi all,

I am new to TrueNAS Scale, but I am getting more and more into it. The content of this forum helped me a great deal!

Currently I am working on moving my VMs from my former server to the new TrueNAS Scale server (using TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.2). However, upon creating the first VM, I came across a problem: Trying to install Home Assistant OS as a VM, I provided the generic x64-86 iso-file. When I start the VM, the installation media is not recognized: "Could not read from CDROM (code 0005)".

1656965775835.png

If I swap for an ubuntu iso, everything is working correctly and I get into the installation screen. Am I doing something wrong here? Has anyone successfully installed Home Assistant OS as a TNS VM?

Thanks in advance!

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Can you verify the VM iso on any other system?

There is a TrueCharts Home Assistant app.

BurneyFM

Cadet
Thank you for the hint! I invested several hours more until I realized that HA is providing the final disk image and NOT an install media. Thus the following steps led to a running system:

1. Creating a zvol for the VM to use as disk storage
2. Downloading the HA iso and realizing that it is zipped (yes, this took another hour)
3. writing the content of the image to the zvol as a direct copy using dd as root in the web GUI shell

Hope this helps anybody with this problem. I would RTFM myself, but it is really not clearly stated in the HA documentation.

BurneyFM

Cadet
Adding to morganL's question: I was aiming for Home Assistant OS as it is a supervised install with automatic docker container management for plugins, which is not provided in the regular HA App.

Akhanaton

Cadet
As an IoT enthusiast, very interested to hear the tradeoffs for HA on a VM vs HA on a Raspberry Pi. I already ruled out HA on a container due to all the myriad IP ports needed for a multi-protocol IoT server like HA. Using Wireshark, I've seen over 5 network protocols generated by HA on an RPi - still working on more integrations and add-ons to generate and document more protocol types.