Hi there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durkatlon

Patron
Hi, I'm from San Diego, CA and in the process of building a set of redundant FreeNAS 8 boxes to take over from a set of existing NAS systems that I already have but that I am unhappy with.

I already have a set of redundant FreeNAS .7 systems running with a ZFS filesystem where one backs up the other using rsync. My other set consists currently of 2 Iomega 150D NASes which use the XFS filesystem. I am not happy with the UI on these things, and recently one of them lost the entire filesystem during a power outage while it was already in degraded mode with a dead disk.

I managed to get everything back up and running after some tense moments and resolved to replace them with FreeNAS 8 custom systems and that's what I'm in the process of doing now. Still waiting for some parts to arrive, but in the mean time I've been experimenting with 2 FreeNAS 8 VM instances and a FreeBSD 8.2 VM instance to learn about the new version of FreeNAS and FreeBSD in general.

So far I'm liking it a lot!!

-- Durk

ProtoSD

MVP
Hey Durk, I'm in San Diego also. It would be cool to meet sometime. I'm headed out of town for about a month though starting Monday. I'll drop you a PM when I'm back in town.

Status
Not open for further replies.