Hi everyone, new to TrueNAS here

Hi everyone.

I was given an old HP server box (HP ProLiant ML110 G6 Server: Xeon X3430, 16GB RAM, 1x 120GB ADATA SU800 SSD to boot TrueNAS from), and decided to use it as an upgrade from my poor old QNAP TS-410. I did some google searches and a lot of reading, as well as a lot of viewing of videos on various options on YouTube, and decided on TrueNAS Core. I have a variety of consumer 120 and 240G SSDs here spare I can use as the TrueNAS boot drive if that ADATA turns out to be unsuitable.

I'll use this HP server hardware for a while, and will build a new rig some time in the next year or two to replace it, but even this hardware should perform much better than the QNAP box did, and will allow me to run things like Plex on the "new" NAS, instead of on another machine, which is my gaming rig, freeing up resources and performance on the gaming rig.

While yes, I'm aware the Xeon is very outdated and wouldn't be great for a multi-user plex setup, I'm usually the only plex user, and most content is in 720P or even less, so it should cope, and I found the biggest bottleneck I was experiencing with the TS-410 was it struggling to serve up data fast enough - it took a good 2 to 30 seconds, sometimes longer, before streaming could begin, depending on various factors. I expect that this should improve with the data being on the TrueNAS Core box, and will certainly improve yet again when I build a new box in the future to run TrueNAS Core on.

I've been reading and I have not got the HP box setup yet, I'm still learning and experimenting with it before I copy any data to it. I was going to use the HP P212 Smart Array Controller connected to 4x 3TB WD Reds, but from what I've read, I may be better off connecting those WD Reds directly to the mobo and getting TrueNAS to handle the RAID. Oh, plan is to run RAID 5 - the data is replaceable and backed up elsewhere, but it's such a hassle when it's multiple TBs, which yes, I know, is nothing compared to many people here.

I have a spare stack of 4x 2TB spinning rust (WD and Seagate, various models) I'll use for testing purposes before setting up the system "properly", and once I've got it up and running, those will go into the poor old QNAP TS-410 for storage of data that isn't required often and where speed is not a concern at all - things like the install image for TrueNAS Core, for example, so it's not taking up space on my main laptop or on the gaming rig.

Any experience or advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

wsoteros

o7
Administrator
iXsystems
Welcome to Storage Freedom!

Glad to hear that you decided on TrueNAS! There is a lot to learn and it may seem overwhelming but fear not, everyone here is very friendly and willing to help! If you want to learn some more feel free to check out the Official TrueNAS Documentation!

Let me know if you have any questions,

Enjoy your stay!

-Will

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I was going to use the HP P212 Smart Array Controller

HP's Smart Array Controllers are not acceptable for use with FreeNAS/TrueNAS. Please see:

Oh, plan is to run RAID 5 - the data is replaceable and backed up elsewhere, but it's such a hassle when it's multiple TBs

TrueNAS doesn't support RAID 5. It uses the ZFS filesystem, which integrates redundancy into the system. It has something called RAIDZ1 which is similar to RAID 5 in terms of the level of parity protection offered, but is implemented completely differently. We ask that people not refer to this as "RAID 5", because some people actually do come in trying to implement actual RAID 5 on top of RAID controllers.

Thank you. Yes, I should have edited my post or responded to indicate that I had done some more reading and won't be using he HP Smart Array controller, and that I'll be using ZFS and RAIDZ1 and NOT RAID 5.

I have yet to finish installation, as I'm awaiting delivery of 2 new drives to use in this setup, both WD Red Plus WD40EFZXs, which from what I've read isn't the perfect choice, but should be acceptable in my use case.