Help with structure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wardy

Dabbler
Hi all,

I posted something today and from the answer I got it was clear that I don't really understand the filesystem yet. I was wondering if anyone knew of a beginner's guide or something (not the slideshow) mainly about datasets, shares and jails. I can't find an explanation anywhere.

Basically I want a single pool with:
- a plex server
- couchpotato transmission etcetera
- a media and download folder (shared by both users)
- a private folder for both users
- a team speak server

What I can't figure out is how to divide these into datasets and shares, since I can't really figure out the difference between them and what each of them does (I am really really new). The hardware part I got covered.

Thank you in advance :)

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty

Wardy

Dabbler

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I'm mobile right now but look for the zfs primer by cyberjock.

All your jails will reside in ONE dataset. You create other datasets based on what you need. These have absolutely nothing to do with shares. Shares are handled separately although the preferred option is to share a dataset rather than the entire pool.

You don't need to divide any of those things up in your list. You keep mentioning users. What users are you referring to?

Based on what you are specifying you want a downloads dataset, and a media dataset, and possibly a 'fileshare' dataset. These are just arbitrary names I have given them.

Your datasets can be mounted in the jails and used like local storage from within the jail. You don't have to mess with shares for this.

I have a downloads dataset. In my downloads dataset, I have torrent a folder that i point all torrents to. I have an nzb folder that i point all nzbs to. I have a general dumpall folder where other stuff goes.

I mount this storage in my downloads jail, and the jail sees it as local storage and all services are directed to their own folders within the jail.

When movies or TV shows download they get processed and moved to a media dataset that is also mounted in the jail. Plex is mounted to that same storage too so it can process the media.

You should spend some time reading the official documentation as well because a lot if this stuff is explained in it.

Wardy

Dabbler
I'm mobile right now but look for the zfs primer by cyberjock.

All your jails will reside in ONE dataset. You create other datasets based on what you need. These have absolutely nothing to do with shares. Shares are handled separately although the preferred option is to share a dataset rather than the entire pool.

You don't need to divide any of those things up in your list. You keep mentioning users. What users are you referring to?

Based on what you are specifying you want a downloads dataset, and a media dataset, and possibly a 'fileshare' dataset. These are just arbitrary names I have given them.

Your datasets can be mounted in the jails and used like local storage from within the jail. You don't have to mess with shares for this.

I have a downloads dataset. In my downloads dataset, I have torrent a folder that i point all torrents to. I have an nzb folder that i point all nzbs to. I have a general dumpall folder where other stuff goes.

I mount this storage in my downloads jail, and the jail sees it as local storage and all services are directed to their own folders within the jail.

When movies or TV shows download they get processed and moved to a media dataset that is also mounted in the jail. Plex is mounted to that same storage too so it can process the media.

You should spend some time reading the official documentation as well because a lot if this stuff is explained in it.

Wow thanks for the elaborate response, for some reason I have a lot of trouble figuring all of this out. Your explanation seems to cover exactly what I want to make. This way I would only have to share the shared folders dataset and set the permissions for the folders. Next chance I get I will make a prototype on a virtual machine. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.