Help with pihole

phaelax

Dabbler
I've installed pihole, default settings, but what IP do I point my dns to? Is it the same as my truenas server? Or does the container have its own virtual interface? I tried the truenas IP but that doesn't seem to work, fails to resolve anything then. Also, I seem to have virtually no commands in the shell for the app. (service, systemctl, ifconfig)

LarsR

Guru
which version did you install?
official ix app
truecharts app
or big blue launch docker button?

the official truenas app needs you to do some port fowarding if i remember correctly.
I'm using the truecharts app and it listens to 0.0.0.0 which translates to "any interface you see" and you just have to add your nas's ip as dns and it should start blocking.

phaelax

Dabbler
Version: 2022.10_1.0.7
It's the official, I didn't even realize til now there was a separate truecharts one. I'll install the truecharts and see how that goes.

phaelax

Dabbler
Well that was easy, lol. Truecharts version works as I expected. In regards to the other version needing a port forwarded, is that something I would've had to do in truenas to direct the traffic to the pihole container? I'm pretty new to using containers.

LarsR

Guru
you'd have to do that when you set up the app or when editing the app.
There's a network part on setup/editing an app
Truecharts preconfigures those ports, so its basically plug&play