Help with NAS4FREE (Raid0/ZFS Striping)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Having only looked at Nas4Free a couple of years back while deciding on which to use (deciding on FreeNAS), I noticed that it supports UFS... is there any chance you used UFS for that RAID0 set? Maybe this explains why FreeNAS sees nothing there.

This would mean that some other (probably linux based) OS may provide some options to recover something using a utility like testdisk https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk , which I see now even lists partition recovery for ZFS... so there's hope yet for you.

Clearly you would need to be running openZFS on linux in order to recover a ZFS partition (don't quote me on that, it's an assumption), but it also mentions it will run under a few variants of FreeBSD, so you could install one of those to get ZFS support first.

** an important additional note... Testdisk is probably not aware of multi-disk pools, so be very careful about what you allow it to do. Look carefully at what it offers you as options and decide if you're willing to risk allowing it to repair something that it doesn't see the whole picture of.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Status
Not open for further replies.