Does FreeNAS HAST/CARP nice with NAS4Free?

Status
Not open for further replies.

coatmaker618

Dabbler
So I'm looking at a FreeNAS build. Unlike most people, I have an existing NAS4Free box up and running.

I don't want to replace that box, but rather sync my data between that NAS4Free and a 2nd NAS which I have yet to build, but is planned to run FreeNAS. This will let me see what I do and don't like about each OS and go from there.

My concern is that my primary goal (apart from checking out FreeNAS) is to use this server as a mirror of the other server, because two copies of data are better than 1, no? (yes, 3 is ideal, but I'm building these one at a time, unless you care to donate :p ) The idea of syncing with HAST/CARP seems pretty awesome, but I want to make sure FreeNAS & NAS4Free can play nicely with those services, or if there's a better approach (choice of services, just stick with 1 OS you fool, so on)?

Does FreeNAS play nice with NAS4free or am I asking for a world of trouble here?

Thanks!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
FreeNAS has no HAST/CARP built in. So unless you plan to add it yourself that's out of the question. You could do ZFS snapshots/replication if you want though.

FreeNAS will play nice with NAS4Free so long as what they do to each other is compatible with appropriate standards. I don't know much about NAS4Free, but I wouldn't expect them to deviate from the established standards. I also don't kn0w of anyone that mixes FreeNAS and NAS4Free, so it may or may not work.

The typical crowd that is attracted to NAS4Free as well as the crowd that is attracted to FreeNAS is not exactly the same. The ideas and expectations for each project is sufficiently different you typically fall into one category or the other... not both. Most people choose one and stick with it as each project has 2 similar functions, but only on the surface. Deep down things are very complex.

I find it interesting that someone would actually consider mixing the two(generally a given person falls into one of the two crowds above) but as there's little experience on using both together I have no information to provide.

coatmaker618

Dabbler
FreeNAS has no HAST/CARP built in. So unless you plan to add it yourself that's out of the question. You could do ZFS snapshots/replication if you want though.

Whelp, no HAST/CARP makes that idea a bit difficult...i'm certainly NOT going to rewrite FreeNAS! (and were I to do so, this wouldn't even be #1 on my list :p )

Snapshot/replication just seems to be a bit more cludgy (maybe just perception?). If I were to use 2 FreeNAS boxes, would there be a better way to sync them?

The typical crowd that is attracted to NAS4Free as well as the crowd that is attracted to FreeNAS is not exactly the same. The ideas and expectations for each project is sufficiently different you typically fall into one category or the other... not both. Most people choose one and stick with it as each project has 2 similar functions, but only on the surface. Deep down things are very complex.

Huh, I have not gotten that impression...but I guess that just means I haven't gotten past the surface? From my view they're both serving people who want to run their own NAS box(es)....

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Snapshot/replication just seems to be a bit more cludgy (maybe just perception?). If I were to use 2 FreeNAS boxes, would there be a better way to sync them?

Assuming you can mix FreeNAS and NAS4Free, they best way is still to do ZFS replication.

Huh, I have not gotten that impression...but I guess that just means I haven't gotten past the surface? From my view they're both serving people who want to run their own NAS box(es)....

Yeah, that's just the surface. Deep down FreeNAS is targeted at enterprise class/higher end servers while NAS4Free is targeted at the lower end. The engineered considerations are also different because of the "targeted" class.

coatmaker618

Dabbler
Assuming you can mix FreeNAS and NAS4Free, they best way is still to do ZFS replication.

What about between 2 (or more) FreeNAS boxes?

Yeah, that's just the surface. Deep down FreeNAS is targeted at enterprise class/higher end servers while NAS4Free is targeted at the lower end. The engineered considerations are also different because of the "targeted" class.

Ok, i've sorta picked up on that, but it wasn't clear what the differences were besides less support for lower-end hardware on FreeNAS side of things.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Sorry.. I was saying one thing while thinking another. Between 2 FreeNAS boxes ZFS replication is the best.

The differences are so different I can't even begin to list them all. Most of them I take for granted now so I might not even be able to think them up.

coatmaker618

Dabbler
No worries, I was curious about both.

I can understand that, and that's actually part of the reason I was/am tempted to do the comparison myself, just see which fits ME & my setup better.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Interesting. But without the GUI options and with no documentation in the FreeNAS manual setup would be... difficult.

D

dlavigne

Yup, ATM it assumes someone is already familiar with how to configure HAST. There are plans to integrate it into the GUI at some point. I've heard rumours for 9.2.2, but we'll see how that version's roadmap evolves.

coatmaker618

Dabbler
Hmm, this is starting to get interesting. If HAST/CARP is going to be built into the GUI it may become feasible to try this idea....maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.