Help with first FreeNAS home build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Bacon

Cadet
Ok, so I've been trying to read through posts around here as well as reading through the minimum hardware specs and the recommended hardware guide. I think I've got it figured out, but I'm not experienced at all with server hardware. So I'd definitely appreciate some input from others.

I'm planning to use it to store media files (movies, tv shows, photos etc..). I'm not really concerned about space or noise as it'll be in a different, unused, room. I'll be using my gaming computer as the interface between the NAS and playback. I use Kodi for playback on my TV that's directly connected to the gaming PC and I have Plex set up as well for playback on phones and tablets or for when I'm not at home.

Parts:

• Board: SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SRL-F Server Motherboard LGA 2011 R3
  • Processor: Intel Xeon E5-1603 v3 SR20K 2.80GHz 4-Core 10MB LGA2011-3 CPU Processor
  • Memory: 2x of Hynix HMA41GR7MFR4N-TF 8GB DDR4 Pulled from the motherboard's recommended memory list page here. I'm open to others, these were just the ones I found easily available.
  • Hard Drives: I'm planning on using 4x 6TB WD Reds. I know my memory selection doesn't follow the 1 gig to 1TB rule, but I'm hoping I can get away with it since it'll essentially just be a file server.
  • Power Supply: I haven't quite decided, but I'll probably pick up either a SeaSonic or an EVGA. A 500W unit should be plenty, but I may go higher to get better efficiency and/or cooling setup. Seems like the lower the wattage the poorer efficiency you can get. I'd definitely like to pick up a UPS at some point too.
  • Case: I'm planning on reusing an old case I have, a CoolerMaster HAF X. The 200mm or so fan on the front should hit all 4 drives, but I know I can add more 120mm fans to the front as I expand in the future.
  • Boot Drive: I'll probably use my secondary SSD from the gaming rig. It's a 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

One thing I just realized I don't have is a cooler for the CPU. I'd be fine using a factory one, but I don't think the listing I found comes with it.

Thanks!

Last edited:

joeinaz

Contributor
I have an X9 Supermicro board that's an LGA 2011 CPU. As for a cooler, my board has a "narrow" CPU socket and not a "square" socket. I had to order a fan to fit a narrow socket as the coolers at my local store were designed for a "square" 2011 socket. Someone else may confirm is the X10 board you have needs a "narrow" cooler. If you go to the SuperMicro website, there are some recommended coolers for your motherboard.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Did I miss why you're looking at a Socket 2011 board? Because they (and the corresponding CPUs) tend to be much more expensive than the 1155/1151/1150 boards, and I don't see anything in your proposed use case that would call for the increased capabilities.

joeinaz

Contributor
Did I miss why you're looking at a Socket 2011 board? Because they (and the corresponding CPUs) tend to be much more expensive than the 1155/1151/1150 boards, and I don't see anything in your proposed use case that would call for the increased capabilities.

The key is which board you choose. My X10SAE is Socket 1150 and uses an inexpensive G3258 CPU. The expensive option on that board are the DDR3 UDIMMs. My X9 board is socket 2011 but the key there is it uses v1 or v2 of the E5-2600. The E5-2603 (v1) starts under $20 on eBay.

Maelos

Explorer
I have purchased just that (X9 2011 socket x2, narrow active coolers). See my signature/thread for more.

Chassis: CSE-846A-R1200B
Motherboard: X9DRI-F (Supports 2x V2 CPUs / 16 Memory Slots)
CPUs: 2x E5-2650 v2 2.6ghz 8-Core 8.0 GT/s / 20mb Smart Cache
CPU Active Cooling: 2x Noctua NH-U9DXi4

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
OP, is there a specific reason you selected this hardware, because you can definitely get a lower price build?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.