Help with configuring Emby on FreeNAS

I am new to this forum
I have installed FreeNAS and added 2 Disk in Mirrored setup.
I created 2 datasets for Music and Movie and copied respective Medias.
Then I installed Emby plugin. How do I configure Emby to read the media files.

bigphil

Patron
On the left hand side if the FreeNAS gui, expand plugins and then Emby. It will give you a link to the media server (IP:8096). You can then manage the Emby server and add folders. Also make sure in FreeNAS you have configured storage for your Emby jail. It's in the FreeNAS guide under jail configuration.

Thanks Bigphil. Does this mean that the all the Media will be stored in the the storage allocated to the Emby Jail?

bigphil

Patron
Yes. So for instance on my emby server, I have a dataset that is configured as /media for the destination. I then configure emby libraries to point to the folder I want in there. If you want metadata to be in that location too, and not in the jail itself, you'll need to configure an account with correct permissions to write to your dataset. I'm still using FreeNAS 9.10 so if you're on 11, it may be different. Check the FreeNAS guides for jail setup and config.

I am unable to see the media files.

I created a user xyz which owns the dataset filesystem which are shared as SMB.
I have presented that filesystem to the Jail containing emby.
Emby also has the same user xyz and group.
When I log in to Jail, I don't see the mounted filesystem. I just see / (root) filesystem. Should emby mount the presented dataset filesystem within Jail ?
At freeNAS level I can see all the dataset mounted.

What am I doing wrong?

Gkaruk

Cadet
I hope I can help as 2 years ago has same issues and wrote notes on how to resolve. I have just reinstall FreeNAS 11.1 with Emby PlugIn 3.2.60.0 and below still works!

Issue - FreeNAS Emby plugin : How to setup Media
Issue - FreeNAS plugin Emby 3.2.60.0 plugin cannot see the dataset volumes created in FreeNAS.

Solution - Confirmed
You need to setup storage locations under the emby_1 Jail autocreated when the plugin installed as follows:
  • Jails->emby_1->Storage->Add Storage
  • Source=/mnt/vol1/Emby_Share/Films
    (e.g. Films path to dataset source accessed by a share, amend to your volume and subfolder)
  • Destination=/media/embyFilms
    (e.g. Films path under emby jail media folder to create)
  • Create Directory=Ticked
    (Create the folder if not exist )
Now configure Emby through it web config page to add the media library for use as follows:
  • Library->Add Media Library (Prompts for required fields)
  • Content Type=Movies (e.g. Movies media type added)
  • Display Name=Movies (e.g. Movies menu name to show in Emby)
  • Folders <click + Add> (Prompts for media locations)
  • Media Locations <click + > (e.g. Movies menu name to show in Emby)
  • <click -> on right of / > (Expand root folder path on FreeNAS)
  • <scroll down and choose> /media/embyFilms (e.g. Select /media/embyFilms)

appliance

Explorer
i map media folder read-only for both Emby and Plex.
Both are great with movies, poor with Series and TV Shows, suddenly they require strict naming syntax even for folder names, they mix episodes in a wrong way, can't download pictures sometimes, and no subtitles to download at all. Additionally, the cannot even play embedded (CC) subtitles (Emby).
Emby acts like it's more customizable, has plugins, although didn't really reap its benefits.
Plex setup is quite quick compares to Emby.
Plex is way way way faster in media scanning and metadata processing.
Emby plugin is constantly producing errors, and will often freeze. Really often. Manual updates especially causing freezes, and they are less comfortable. After every movie identify action, you need to restart the jail, for example.
Plex loves to force transcode, which is in my mind an operation that should not exist, i can't see any client device that couldn't handle any H264/HEVC material.
So I wanted to use Emby in the beginning, but so far Plex performs better. And DLNA players even better -- they never transcode, and always show subtitles.