Help with a simple SMB share without login

stinker666

Cadet
All I want to do is make a simple network folder, that can be accessed from every Windows machine in the network without needing to enter any credentials. Like if I'd share a folder on a Windows machine and set the permissions to full access for everyone.
Seems overly complicated, or am I just missing something?
All the tutourials and other threads about this that I found are out of date and refare to older verisons.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
All I want to do is make a simple network folder, that can be accessed from every Windows machine in the network without needing to enter any credentials. Like if I'd share a folder on a Windows machine and set the permissions to full access for everyone.
Seems overly complicated, or am I just missing something?
All the tutourials and other threads about this that I found are out of date and refare to older verisons.
Modern Windows has disabled guest access for SMB clients. You'd have to alter the security settings of every Windows client on your network and then create a guest share (I'm not sure how long this will continue to work on the Windows side since you're going against the flow security-wise).

Typically people use Active Directory if they need single-sign-on. Alternatively you can either create accounts on the NAS that mirror the accounts used to authenticate to Windows, or create a single account on the NAS and store its credentials in the credential manager in Windows.