Home directory share network error

smic717394

Dabbler
Hi, I´m trying to create the home directory, it sort of work. Basically, a created a dataset called Home_Share and set share type as SMB. Then I went and edit permissions, and set the preset to HOME and saved. Then I went to Sharing > Windows Shares (SMB) and I added a share for the new Home_Share. I set the Purpose to No present, then click ADVANCED OPTIONS and check Use as Home Share.

Then I added 2 users user1 and user2 , automatically the the home directory was set to mnt/Home_Share/user1, same for user2. I reset the SMB server just in case, clear any stored permissions in windows.

When access to \\10.10.10.2 there is a directory called homes, when i try to open it i get "Windows cannot access \\10.10.10.2\homes but I i navigate directly to \\192.168.10.2\user1\ then I get the login, and after I login if I go to the \\10.10.10.2 root now i have a new share called user1 that I can access and the homes share that I can now access. If I delete the credentials I loose access again to homes.

I don't know how it work, but I thought that maybe clicking the homes will prompt for login, and then inside will be the user1 or user2 folder, and why the user lolder appear outside of homes as well after login?

I tried from a macos smb://10.10.10.2 its asking me to log in (where windows doesn't on \\10.10.10.2) then I can see user1 fodder, i can go to homes. I think the problem is that because the user is no authenticated will not open the folder homes.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Nick2253

Wizard
You may be misunderstanding what is supposed to happen. When you tell Samba to share a home directory, it will always be available on the path \\<server>\<username>. So the path will be different for each username.

Windows will, by default, try to connect to a share using the current user credentials, and if those don't work, it will next attempt to connect using the guest/everyone/none user account. Only if that is unsuccessful will it prompt you for credentials.

If you want Windows to automatically connect to a share (or at least prompt for credentials), you need to:
  • Use a central directory service (like AD) to centrally manage user accounts.
  • Set your Windows username/password to the same username/password as on TrueNAS.
  • Use a mapped network drive with different credentials in Windows.
  • Prevent guest users from accessing the share.

smic717394

Dabbler
Ok, i know the <server>\<username>, but I was confused about the home folder. I thought when try to open will ask for permission and depends on username will open the used folder. Thank you.