Simple open access smb share

bibib

Cadet
Hey I want to set up just a super simple smb share where no one has to provide any credentials and everyone on the network has full permission, from apps such as nzb clients moving files around to different computers accessing the smb.

I find the hole users and permissions overly complicated. Had it all setup and seemingly working for months and randomly after a restart it has stopped and I can't access some files. I don't want to spend another day playing around with permissions. I just want full access to everyone on the network, nothing fancy just completely open.

I'm using the latest version and UI. I've read loads of guides but they are mostly written for the old UI.

Please help

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hey I want to set up just a super simple smb share where no one has to provide any credentials and everyone on the network has full permission, from apps such as nzb clients moving files around to different computers accessing the smb.

I find the hole users and permissions overly complicated. Had it all setup and seemingly working for months and randomly after a restart it has stopped and I can't access some files. I don't want to spend another day playing around with permissions. I just want full access to everyone on the network, nothing fancy just completely open.

I'm using the latest version and UI. I've read loads of guides but they are mostly written for the old UI.

Please help

If you feel up for trying out something new, how about doing this (this only applies to the SMB side):
1) Create account "guest_user"
2) Create group "smb_users" and make "guest_user" a member of it.
3) Create dataset with "unix" permissions type, and set the owner to guest_user:smb_guests, and set permissions to 777.
4) Create smb share, and in the advanced settings, remove the "zfsacl" vfs object and set "noacl" vfs object. Check 'allow guest access' and 'only allow guest access'.
5) in the advanced settings also set the following smb share auxiliary parameter "nt acl support = no".
6) Go to Services->SMB, and set the guest account to "guest_user".

This has the following caveats:
a) Recent windows clients may refuse to connect using a guest session.
b) You may need to create a group in your jails that corresponds with the GID for smb_users, and make the account of your jailed application a member of it.

This is probably the absolute simplest method of setting it up, but setting appropriate ACLs is more fool-proof once they're in place (you can use ACLs to ensure a level of access even if the jailed application decides to chmod a file to something stupid).

Last edited:

bibib

Cadet
Thanks, I remember doing something similar in terms of groups and users in the jail's but I forget what now.

Something that confuses me is this reference to dataset. I don't see that in the UI. I have a pool, which I've made a share in. I think I also did something with some new user and groups to make sure by default all the folders I'm using have these users and groups.

When I have the inclination I'll try following your steps and see how if it helps.

Also I've ran into that windows issue before and spent several hours before working out I had to clear some stored credentials

Last edited: