Help upgrading Freenas 0.7.2 Sabanda (revision 5543) x64 to 8.0.2 x64

Status
Not open for further replies.

yonkoc

Explorer
Hello all,

Thanks for a great product, I'm using it in an office environment for backup purposes and it's super efficient. I am now trying to upgrade my own home 18TB media server to 8.0.2 x64. Can anyone please list the steps. Last time I checked there was no direct method to upgrade to 8 (or maybe there is now) so I would kindly ask for detailed steps. I am running a 2 Raidz with 5 HDDs and one spare for both arrays. Information on those two raid 5s is identical so I can experiment with importing one to v.8 and if all goes to hell I can always restore from the backup. So please list steps.

Thank you very much in advance.

Durkatlon

Patron
My question is why would you do this. What are you expecting to get out of 8.0.2 that 0.7.2 does not offer?

There is no real upgrade path from FN7 to FN8. Your best best is to backup all the data to another device and then reinitialize the FN7 device from scratch with the new build. FN8 uses a different version of ZFS and while there is an upgrade path via the command-line from one version of ZFS to another (newer) version, I wouldn't attempt it unless I had all the possibly affected data safely tucked away somewhere first.

At that point you might as well reinitialize the thing from a clean slate.

yonkoc

Explorer
My question is why would you do this. What are you expecting to get out of 8.0.2 that 0.7.2 does not offer?

There is no real upgrade path from FN7 to FN8. Your best best is to backup all the data to another device and then reinitialize the FN7 device from scratch with the new build. FN8 uses a different version of ZFS and while there is an upgrade path via the command-line from one version of ZFS to another (newer) version, I wouldn't attempt it unless I had all the possibly affected data safely tucked away somewhere first.

At that point you might as well reinitialize the thing from a clean slate.

Thanks for the quick reply. To your question:
1. I prefer FN8 GUI.
2. I lost AFP access to FN7 when I upgraded to Lion. FTP is okay but still.
3. I can set up snapshots in GUI in FN8 (not that versed in FN7 CLI).
4. Just plain boring desire to use the latest build.

Is there an automatic volume import for FN8? As in would FN8 recognize and import FN7 RAID 5?

Durkatlon

Patron
Fair enough. I actually run a mix of FN7 and FN8 myself. I like the GUI in FN8 but I have no desire to go through the trouble of upgrading my FN7 machines just for that :D.

As stated, you cannot really upgrade in the traditional sense, since the two operating systems have little to do with eachother, FN8 being a complete from-scratch rewrite based on nanobsd (as opposed to m0n0wall which was the basis for FN7).

Best to backup, re-init, restore.

yonkoc

Explorer
Fair enough. I actually run a mix of FN7 and FN8 myself. I like the GUI in FN8 but I have no desire to go through the trouble of upgrading my FN7 machines just for that :D.

As stated, you cannot really upgrade in the traditional sense, since the two operating systems have little to do with eachother, FN8 being a complete from-scratch rewrite based on nanobsd (as opposed to m0n0wall which was the basis for FN7).

Best to backup, re-init, restore.

Myeah, gotta figure out where to stash 3TB of data without losing my secondary backup. Prices of 2TB and 3TB HDDs just went up 50% :(

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
If you're using ZFS you can just auto import it...

It may require manual intervention to upgrade the pool first... like zpool upgrade (one-way street)

yonkoc

Explorer
If you're using ZFS you can just auto import it...

It may require manual intervention to upgrade the pool first... like zpool upgrade (one-way street)

Thank you William,

That worked. The steps I took:
1. Backed up my data on the primary raidz1 (named NAS).
2. Disconnected the raidz1 (named Backup, this is my mirror of the NAS one) by simply unplugging the SATA cables.
3. Fired up the Freenas 8.0.2, set up a new password for log in and attempted to auto import. Did not work so I followed William's instructions.
4. In shell (you can do it via SSH as well, but you'd need to enable SSH via WebGUI first and create a user with a password) I typed:
zpool import -f NAS and and imported it.
zpool upgrade NAS and upgraded it.

At this point I could not see it via the WebGUI so I rebooted. Log into WebGui and do an AutoImport, it should see and successfully import it as the raid is now on ver 15. Importing it automatically mounts in under /mnt
Good luck, had to edit this post a million times until I got it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.