Help: Unable to get DNS queries

mraw435

Cadet
Hi all - I recently set up my first go with TrueNas Scale late last week and have an issue with DNS queries. My initial problem started when I downloaded Plex and then being unable to claim my server.

Steps taken so far:
1.) Used plex claim toke
2.) I do have configure host network checked
3.) My DNS fields I set up following Cloudflare
4.) In the TNS -> System Settings -> Shell, I typed in
Code:
dig yahoo.com

and received the following response

Code:
; <<>> DiG 9.16.22-Debian <<>> yahoo.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

5.) I pinged 1.0.0.1 successfully
6.) Information in Apps -> Available Apps -> Advanced Settings is all filled in with my info.

1663531162819.png

Thank you to the discord community for working with me over the last few days and providing some of the steps taken above in an attempt to resolve this. So far nothing has worked! I am quite green when it comes to all of this so any recommendations are welcome.

mraw435

Cadet
To keep anyone reading this updated (sorry for the double post) - I tried out a few more things in the last few hours:

1.) Complete reboot/fresh install of TrueNas Scale (was afraid I broke something somehow) but I still have the issues
2.) Confirmed my network is working fine - able to use the follow command successfully on another laptop running Linux (Mint):
Code:
dig plex.tv

the dig command simply does not work in shell but I can ping any/all websites with no issue which makes me think some type of DNS issue.

I see similarities in the below post but I do not know enough to try that temporary solution (and this issue for me is in both official and truecharts apps)

Referenced post: https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/truenas-scale-cluster-dns-not-working.98078/#post-713613

rvassar

Guru
Those two name servers look suspect. Maybe try 8.8.8.8? Or you ISP's DNS server?

WN1X

Explorer
Those two name servers look suspect. Maybe try 8.8.8.8? Or you ISP's DNS server?
1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 are legit DNS servers. Those are Cloudflare servers.

rvassar

Guru
1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 are legit DNS servers. Those are Cloudflare servers.
Did not know that... They seem nice and quick too. I run my own DNS servers, so I usually fall back to Google's 8.8.8.8 when I need to troubleshoot something.

But the problem here is your NAS can't seem to talk to them. If dig is failing on the NAS and succeeding on the a Linux laptop on the same network, I'd start looking at a routing problem or filtering at the firewall, etc... You can force dig to hop to another DNS server using the "@<IP>" option ala:

nas% dig @8.8.8.8 www.yahoo.com

See if it can reach Google, Cloudflare, and your ISP's DNS, etc...

mraw435

Cadet
Thanks for your responses everyone! I went back and tried to reach google and my ISPs DNS but no luck - was still receiving an error when writing in the apps shell: #curl google.com (as an example).

I called my brother who is a bit more well versed than me in networking and he took the steps outlined in:

and Plex works! Seems like a NAT issue - I cannot detail the issue much more as I fully don't understand what my brother said .....

I saw @phin created a report earlier this month with the issue - only downside I have found with this temporary fix is that it requires me to enable expert config settings in all my other apps. Hope this is something that can be fixed in a future update - for now, I am content watching my tv shows again.

mraw435

Cadet
Hi all, the temporary fix outlined in my September 18th post no longer works after truecharts updates and bluefin release. Instead of a temporary fix - I am hoping to fix this once and for all. The issue, all my apps are having DNS issues (curl error) - two SS, here:
HeimdallLogs16122022.png

PlexLogs16122022.png

Additionally, when I tried Emby (simply to try another streaming media service), metadata does not load and the plugin catalog does not load.

Next issues I have found - I cannot use the dig command in Scale shell but I can use nslookup. I do not believe it is a router/modem issue because these commands work in the terminal on my laptop and desktop. Example of Scale shell (dig command pauses for 15 seconds and produces nothing):
1671240628962.png

I tried to open a ticket on iX Systems but because they had no reproduction case - couldnt help too much. Anyone have any recommendations or ideas on how to solve this?! Having 0 apps work properly on the system is quite a nuisance.